• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conical bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cast 455 Webley hollow base 260 grain bullets RCBS mold, for my S&W M1917 RCMP revolver, which I size to fit my 44 cal BP revolvers.
455 webley.jpg

I shoot a Pietta 1858 Remington. My regular loads are 30 grains of 777 3F, followed by a dry wad, then either the libed bullet or a roundball with crisco to seal and lube. My paper cartridges and plinking loads are 25 grains of powder.

The bullets used are .454 roundball, Lee R.E.A.L 200 grain, and a Lee .452/160. Neither of the bullets are heeled. So, I roll them between to metal blocks a few times holding pressure on the base end. This allows them to drop in, but still have a good seal. Recovered bullets show excellent engagement with the rifling on the back band showing some base expansion when they are fired.

Attachments

• 20240227_121527.jpg
    20240227_121527.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I have a ROA BP Revolver & the only projectile that I’ve ever shot out of it is a 220g Kaido cast cast conical.
Molds for them can be purchased.
They are from wheel weight lead.
Charge is 33-35g T7fff.

These are illustrated with some conical bullets.

Although this picture was taken in the second half of the 1900s I'm going to figure it does duplicate what was available in the 1800s.
Would like to get a mold that duplicates the original bullets but I'm looking for a 44 as I have not yet re obtained a 36 horse pistol
IMG_20240321_105035~2.jpg

Back