• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper cartridges?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of rifle? There are many rifles that are designed for cartridges like that. If you are talking about a Hawken or some other muzzle loading gun a paper cartridge like one for then my opinion is that it won't work. The revolver barrels obturate directly on the ball whereas our rifles use the patch to catch the rifling.

Using premeasured powder in a combustible paper cartridge down the barrel then a patched ball on top would likely work but I see disadvantages:

1. The paper may leave embers that could ignite the next cartridge.
2. The possibility of misfires may increase because of the distance the cap flame has to travel.
3. Same as 2 but with delayed firing.

Since I have not tried this myself I cannot prove that these things will happen and you are certainly free to experiment with the idea.

What kind of rifle? There are many rifles that are designed for cartridges like that. If you are talking about a Hawken or some other muzzle loading gun a paper cartridge like one for then my opinion is that it won't work. The revolver barrels obturate directly on the ball whereas our rifles use the patch to catch the rifling.

Using premeasured powder in a combustible paper cartridge down the barrel then a patched ball on top would likely work but I see disadvantages:

1. The paper may leave embers that could ignite the next cartridge.
2. The possibility of misfires may increase because of the distance the cap flame has to travel.
3. Same as 2 but with delayed firing.

Since I have not tried this myself I cannot prove that these things will happen and you are certainly free to experiment with the idea.
Well, that's why is like the opinion of someone with experience vs. supposition and or guessing. I recently read somewhere else that none of that holds any water...

Back