• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Progressively rifled barrel for Enfield 1853/58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there anybody out there making progressively rifled barrels for replicas of the Enfield 1853 and 1858 models?

It would be great to be able to update for example a Pedersoli Enfield and have the proper rifled barrel and be able to use paper cartridges.

Anybody done such an upgrade?

To make progressive depth rifleing as was done originally required the rifleing cutter to be made different depths during the cut. The only way I can see that done is to have an additional rod that holds the cutter depth screw from turning with the cutter. That would move the cutter wedge in and out along the length of the barrel. How much could be determined by the thread pitch and steepness of the wedge.

I am pretty sure that Parker Hale used hammer forged barrels. The mandrill had progressive depth. This is much easier.

The ironic thing is the most repro guns use extremely shallow rifling, about 0.004" and less., if I remember right from a video I saw. The bullet jumps the rifling very easily. That shallow rifling does not work with period correct projectiles and loadings. So, most reproductions are rifled incorrectly for decent accuracy with traditional hollow base bullets. Ironically, period testing from the 19th century showed that deeper rifling, about 0.015", but constant depth gave excellent accuracy. The progressive rifling was only slightly better. So your reproduction is intentionally rifled wrong and the maker does not care.

Bobby Hoyt is a master at making accurate barrels and liners for rifled muskets.

Last edited:
Remember guys, there's also a very wide difference between the civilian and military arms when taking about period rifling. Don't make the mistake of blanket assertions.

Where do you source your Minies?
I generally don't buy minies, or any other muzzleloading bullets for that matter. I cast everything.

What I have done when doing some experimentation is to use this guy-

https://www.lodgewood.com/Bullets_c_7.html

And get a sample to try before buying the mold. There is NO other source for minies I trust. Track, whomever, no, just no. If you want quality minies, get them from Lodgewood since they're cast by a N-SSA member who understands minies and military bullets of the era. The problem with getting them from a round ball outfit is their expertise is exactly that, round ball and minies are a complete world unto themselves.

They would be close to the original ones with a barrel like that, wouldn’t they?

Like what https://papercartridges.com/ offers?
The problem with buying from guys like that is they make one size bullet and most likely, it won't work in your gun. You'll end up frustrated by no accuracy. However, their stuff is very authentic in rolling and design so if that's your goal and not accuracy, then by all means.

We can go back and forth on rifliing, progressive or not, but the basic fact in shooting minies is proper size to the bore and balance the powder charge to the bullet. The minie was designed as a system. Use the system as designed, and part of that is a proper size barrel, and it's a wonderful thing. I have a Hogdon minie load balanced for use in 1863 Remingtons aka Zouaves, that I use when instructing with the Scouts during the summer. We have run as many as 60+ shots in a row without wiping or loss of accuracy. Is it the "max" load? No but it is in balance as Minie designed and the guns simply run with no issues and that ammo.

Let's see if I have this right, it would be a barrel that is coned full length.
Ño you are wrong. The rifle Muskets of the 1850s had deeper rifling at the breech and as the Minie ball moved up the Barrel the rifling became shallower. This caused the awesome accuracy of the rifle Muskets of the day. Pedersoli has really cheated us today by just having standard round ball rifling. They are not worth the money they charge

The question is: what is the way ahead? How to get a good shooting Enfield for example?

Are the Parker Hale ones any good?

Or is it best to get a replica like a Pedersoli and change the barrel for a Whitacre one?

Back