• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pan Prime... 3 or 4 F?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gobbletn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys, fairly new to the sport. I have been using 3 F for my pan prime, but interested in seeing what you seasoned shooters suggest... Thanks

I think most folks use 4f but both will work just fine. If you are using a priming horn or brass priming flask with a small metering valve, the 3f will not work very well in it because the granules are too large. If you are shooting 3f, you can just use it in your pan and have no problems with it at all.

IMO, it depends on what you're after...if you just want any old powder to prime with, maybe out of the same source as your main powder charge, then just use that approach.

But for me, the speed of lock time is everything in a Flintlock, and we know that optimizing multiple elements of a lock's operation add up to collectively increasing the overall speed of ignition.

Just like a properly tuned lock, and having smooth low friction internals in a lock, and using very sharp black english flints contribute to faster lock time, we also know that 4F priming powder is faster than a larger granulation...it's why 4F is made / sold as priming powder.

So with best possible lock time speed as my goal I prime with 4F, along with using sharp black english flints...same as I try to ensure all other lock operation related activities are geared towards best possible speed.

I also use a small valve but only have 3 F in it and now that you say it I do have to work with it at times to have the powder flow... I'll get some 4 F. Thanks

I use 3F for loading and priming. No problems.

If you do a search here and on the American Longrifles forum you likely will come across some extensive testing about this. If it's hundredths of a second difference and you don't notice it I doubt if deer will.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

When I'm driving the speed limit and somebody passes me, I can't tell the difference of 10mph or 15mph faster.

But there's no question that he's going faster.
:wink:

i have always been a fan of KIS keep it simple
3f pan and charge
my bess i use 3f pan 2f charge if out hunting withe that big boy

I use 3f in my pan for prime simply because I tried 4f and could tell no difference what so ever. If I thought it would give me an advantage I would use it all the time, lord knows I need a edge :idunno: but I will have to hunt for it elsewhere :hmm:

The advise Mr Roundball gave is right on. But to explain further, all the components in a flintlock are accumulative. That is they add up. So if you use the best in each area you will get the best ignition. If you just replace 3F for the 4F, yes, you may not notice the slow down. But now let's say the flint is a little duller than opium and now you use 3F. Well the slow down is more apparent. As so on and so.
So the bottom line is use the best, fastest and you will get the best fastest response.
The choice is yours.
You can use 2F, also, but why? :idunno:
Just so you don't have to carry a small priming flask in your bag? Really, that is an excuse? :hmm:

I'm liking JBP more and more as I use it; plus, it's a Goex product. But that's for the main charge. For priming I'm habituated to using 4F; and yes, it does meter well through all priming tools.

In a field situation (hunting, woods walk) I prime with whatever is in my horn. In the case of my fowling piece, that's 2F. I've never noticed that ignition is any slower than with the 4F Swiss that I use at the range, where rules dictate that I use a priming flask.

ebiggs said:
The advise Mr Roundball gave is right on. But to explain further, all the components in a flintlock are accumulative. That is they add up. So if you use the best in each area you will get the best ignition. If you just replace 3F for the 4F, yes, you may not notice the slow down. But now let's say the flint is a little duller than opium and now you use 3F. Well the slow down is more apparent. As so on and so.
So the bottom line is use the best, fastest and you will get the best fastest response.
I don't have the experience with BP to verify, but you have a third choice for priming, and that is Null B. Comments I've read says that this does give noticeably faster ignition. Maybe not so much for hunting, but for serious competition, it may give an edge.

I prime the pan with 4fg. One can last a long long time over 1700 shots at 4 grains per prime.
The problem I found was that when the pan ignites it almost always tosses some powder fragments up and out and some at my face, priming with larger granulations cause those fragment to be larger and more of a disturbing to me than the finer particles.
Being struck with the very fine (burned out) particles is less noticeable than the larger some times still burning granules.

Greenjoytj said:
I prime the pan with 4fg. One can last a long long time over 1700 shots at 4 grains per prime.
The problem I found was that when the pan ignites it almost always tosses some powder fragments up and out and some at my face, priming with larger granulations cause those fragment to be larger and more of a disturbing to me than the finer particles.
Being struck with the very fine (burned out) particles is less noticeable than the larger some times still burning granules.

i dont have much experience with rocklocks but even i can vouch for this one. flinters tend to throw debree and smaller debree is always better then larger debree. flintlock shooters are required to use a seperator (piece of plywood) at the range i go to. this protect other shooters from this debree.

-Matt

Back