• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pan ignition in wet weather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As stated in the other post I was noticing increased challenge in getting the pan to ignite Saturday as the day wore on. I kept brushing out the fouling from the pan but noticed it was also accumulating on the flint and frizzen face which did not occur on a dry day. I wiped all surfaces off with my fingers the best I could but the ignition problems continued to grow. I could see what looked like reasonably good sparking in many instances but no ignition.
As I had just run tests on 4F attracting moisture I knew it was the fouling and not the powder that was the cause.
The pan fouling that covered part of the frizzen and flint became greasy in texture and hard to brush out effectively and much different than what I had experienced on the last shooting session in the dry cold.
I think what was happening is the greasy fouling accumulation was muting the spark and depressing the flint and frizzen inter relational function. Perhaps in my attempt to wipe it off with my fingers I was actually contributing to the trouble, I don't really know at this point as the contact surfaces felt clean to the touch. In thinking back on it I should have found some paper towel and used that with a bit of alcohol perhaps. MD

The pan fouling turns greasy like that almost every time I shoot around here. I use a strip of ticking for patching and cut at the muzzle. At the range I keep one end of my ticking strip in my mouth so it is spit-lubed and ready for the next shot. The other end of the strip is used for wiping out the pan, the flint, and the frizzen. Don't forget to wipe the bottom of the frizzen where it covers the pan as the fouling will accumulate there too.
If the fouling gets too thick or stubborn I just add a very little bit of spit to the cloth and then wipe again with a clean and dry section. When the end of my strip gets too dirty I just cut it off and have a fresh end.
One more word of advice... pay attention and don't get the ends mixed up and put the fouling end in your mouth. It tastes terrible! Don't ask how I know. :barf:

While shooting at my black powder club I keep several cleaning patches folded together and moistened with a 1:10 solution of Balistol and water close by. I wipe the frizzen and pan after each shoot.

Thanks, I did notice the underside of the frizzen all caked up after getting home but not at the range. It had built up pretty good and may have been a major contributor to the pan not lighting when I could see what looked like good spark.It was pretty wet and greasy by the time I noticed it.
All part of getting acquainted with the new gun and it's quirks. MD

When deer hunting in Texas hill country in November you have weeks at s time where there is fog and 100% humidity. It is a real challenge to get a Flint Lock to fire as intended. I fired my rifle at noon and reloaded before heading back to the stand. I used lighter fluid to swab the bore and a pipe cleaner to clean the vent hole. I came up with this or suffer hang fires from hell! Geo. T.

I had problems getting my TC flintlock rifle to fire when it was cloudy and damp.
To solve the problem I dampened a patch with alcohol then wiped the frizzen and pan.
This stopped all my misfires due to damp residue from firing.
Worked for me.

Latest posts

Back