• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Investarm Hawken question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 45 caliber rifle and would like to also have a 54 caliber option for the same rifle. The current barrel is 15/16 wide. What are my options in getting a barrel in 54? Where do I look? Does it have to be an Investarm barrel? Also, I don’t want to spend more on a barrel than another 54 rifle would cost.

This is kind of like asking can I get bigger tires to fit on a Ford? We need more information to answer this question. What model is it, is it flint or percussion? A lot more involved here than just changing out a barrel.

First of all, I want to say you are the first person to correctly spell "Investarm" when referring to that brand on this forum for many years! Thank you! A few years ago I put a Green Mountain barrel, complete with breech plug, sights, ramrod, etc from Track of the Wolf that was made as a drop in placement for a TC Hawken & put it in an Investarm Hawken style stock. It dropped right in!! I sold the Investarms to a member here & he had to do some "fitting" around the area where the bolster meets the lockplate. So, evidently the drop in isn't exact if you go the other way. Based on my experience, I think it would work for you if you can find a Green Mountain TC drop-in replacement or even a used TC barrel.

This is kind of like asking can I get bigger tires to fit on a Ford? We need more information to answer this question. What model is it, is it flint or percussion? A lot more involved here than just changing out a barrel.
The OP stated that the model was an Investarm Hawken. They only came in percussion. What else is there to know???

First of all, I want to say you are the first person to correctly spell "Investarm" when referring to that brand on this forum for many years! Thank you! A few years ago I put a Green Mountain barrel, complete with breech plug, sights, ramrod, etc from Track of the Wolf that was made as a drop in placement for a TC Hawken & put it in an Investarm Hawken style stock. It dropped right in!! I sold the Investarms to a member here & he had to do some "fitting" around the area where the bolster meets the lockplate. So, evidently the drop in isn't exact if you go the other way. Based on my experience, I think it would work for you if you can find a Green Mountain TC drop-in replacement or even a used TC barrel.
Thanks Old Hawkeye, I will check out tow barrels. Good to know the TC dropped into the Investarm. They certainly look the same and measurements seem to be the same as well.

Thanks Old Hawkeye, I will check out tow barrels. Good to know the TC dropped into the Investarm. They certainly look the same and measurements seem to be the same as well.
I do remember now that I had to do a little inletting on the inside of the barrel channel to get the wedge hook to go in, as it was slightly wider. Possibly had to cut a 1/4" off the under barrel rib to clear the stock, but that could have been for a different rifle. Regardless, it worked fine for me. Call TOTW, they were very helpful when I made my inquiry.

All T/C .54 that I have seen are 1" ATF. I fit a Green Mountain drop in that was made for an Investarm to a T/C frame. I had to change out the breech plug to a T/C and cut the barrel rib off about 3/16 inch. The snail was not cut out to fit the T/C lock plate correctly. If you are not wanting to do any work to a barrel, buy an Investarm drop in for it.
It seems like I seen some at muzzle-loaders.com recently, they were for the GPR.

All T/C .54 that I have seen are 1" ATF. I fit a Green Mountain drop in that was made for an Investarm to a T/C frame. I had to change out the breech plug to a T/C and cut the barrel rib off about 3/16 inch. The snail was not cut out to fit the T/C lock plate correctly. If you are not wanting to do any work to a barrel, buy an Investarm drop in for it.
Also check with Muzzle-loader.com they had the GPR drop in.

Also, I don’t want to spend more on a barrel than another 54 rifle would cost.
That's the key.
Yes, .54 cal 15/16" drop-in barrels for the common T/C and Investarm have been made, and are available,, as aftermarket. There is no current production available from any known manufacturer.
If found, used barrels from T/C and/or Investarms are transferable with minor modifications

That's the key.
Yes, .54 cal 15/16" drop-in barrels for the common T/C and Investarm have been made, and are available,, as aftermarket. There is no current production available from any known manufacturer.
If found, used barrels from T/C and/or Investarms are transferable with minor modifications
Rice Barrel Company still catalogues TC barrels made to order and can be had for not much more than a used one on evilbay these days. Some calibers are special order only though if offered at all.
https://ricebarrels.com/product/tho...rop-in-barrels-1-20-1-24-1-48-square-riflied/
The OPs Investarm is easy though. A couple place sell those, he just has to wait till they have the .54s back in stock.
https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/investarm-gemmer-hawken-replacement-barrel

Rice Barrel Company still catalogues TC barrels made to order and can be had for not much more than a used one on evilbay these days. Some calibers are special order only though if offered at all.
https://ricebarrels.com/product/tho...rop-in-barrels-1-20-1-24-1-48-square-riflied/
The OPs Investarm is easy though. A couple place sell those, he just has to wait till they have the .54s back in stock.
https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/investarm-gemmer-hawken-replacement-barrel
Thanks Indy, that's what I have found, currently out of stock. The older I get the more patience I have:), so I will wait

FWIW, I bought my Investarm .50cal Hawken at a show(Connor Prairie) like 4 years ago for $210 cash. It's a Charles Daly import, built by Investarm in 1985. It's been a great rifle, and a darn good shooter. I bring this up because the OP may be able to just pick up a whole other rifle for what he'd spend on a barrel.

The OP stated that the model was an Investarm Hawken. They only came in percussion. What else is there to know???
Investarm has always made a flintlock "Hawken", I have had one for 30+ years. They currently list it on their website as Model 130B. Cabelas sold both percussion and flint Investarm Hawkens for decades, the flint was always a few bucks more.

Many years ago, I swapped out a .45 Investarms Hawken barrel for a .54 caliber barrel from the Lyman Trade Rifle. Was as easy as pulling the wedge and switching the barrels. Got a .40 cal barrel that I can do the same with. Don't know if all the different barrels are compatible with all calibers from the many years the Investarms Hawken has been available, but I suspect that they are. Worth investigating. I bought my .54 barrel from Old South Firearms a long time ago.

Latest posts

Back