• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

P1837 Brunswick Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only know about it from their website. However they can be fired and I think the website even offers a RE: to a U.S.A. made barrel that is rifled and might even offer it for sale on their site.

the Brunswick rifle has a two groove barrel that takes a banded ball that fits in the grooves. a guy I Canada has rebuild several of their Besses and at least one Brunswick with good success. I can`t remember his name

Learning much more since I posted the question. On You Tube there are several videos from a man named Hovey Smith. He's done loads of these rifles and has an abundance of info on them. Have not seen new barrels for sale though. All bore diameters are different from gun to gun, not a good thing for the troops in battle. Says .75cal, website says .70.

the Nepalese guns will vary somewhat from barrel to barrel. the British made guns are much more standardized.

I was wrong about the web site, I misread IMA and was thinking (Discriminating General [India made] reproductions) It is on their website where you will find info about the American made barrels.

There is a fellow in England , name escapes me right now, who makes the banded ball for a very reasonable price with fast shipping.

Got mine today, pieces of the stock fell off as I unwrapped it. The lock cleaned perfectly, barrel as well, rifling was rough but clean, loads of deep cracks in the stock, many small pieces of same missing, I got the booby prize. The buttplate and patchbox cover will never fit, missing wedge pins and plates. My bayonet is bent at the handle but looks nice. All I wanted was what others said they got , something that could be restored, even shootable. At $595, quite a paperweight. I cannot recommend these for any reason, one never knows what they will get. :td:

Send it back ima is pretty good about that, tell them what you want and see what they say.

It is too bad you didn't get a better one, but in fairness it does sound like the description IMA gives. They do say the stock may be cracked, broken, missing pieces and with wood rot. They also mention wedge pins and many other small pieces that may be missing.

When I ordered the thing, I asked for the most complete rifle possible. Last night I removed all metal from the wood, will order from TRS today for a new stock and some small parts that were missing. Hardly needed this expanded project.

I read all that info, went on the notion I may get the same really nice example others have gotten. Looking at the reviews for this rifle, looks like return buyers get nicer items. Just my opinion, they blew it, not going back. My own review was moderated and not included, did this 3 times. They only want nice things posted.

I went to the IMA site and notice the prices for the Brunswick's vary from $495 to almost $3000.

I don't know what you paid but the old adage about "you get what you pay for" is probably true.

I'm going by memory but as I recall it, these guns were found stored in a warehouse for well over 120 years.
No attempt had been made to protect them from the elements so a rotted stock, rusty metal and missing pieces are to be expected (unless you bought one of the $2500+ guns).

They do have somewhat of a historic value because they were issued to the troops by the military.

Mate if you get onto the British Militaria Forums, lots of info re Brunswicks. They do seem a pig in a poke as regards having good bores as they were mostly Nepalese made and the rifling can be pretty screwy. A lot of chaps have just shot patched ball from them, and not worried about the belted version, probably once again because of the poor quality of the rifling. That said I get the impression that IMA are pretty willing to sort out issues with unhappy customers, you could do well to at least approach them and see what they might come up with. On the British Military site there are plenty of stories about IMA replacing dud guns, so please give them a try.

Back