• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Progressive depth rifling questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have collected for shooting a number of ACW period reproduction muskets, mostly Enfields and Springfields. I have Parker Hale Birmingham Enfields, Miroku Springfields, and Italian representations of a handful of other muzzleloading musket types. I understand that no Italian manufacturer has provided progressive depth rifling for any modern reproductions but that Parker Hale’s reproductions are so rifled. What about Miroku military reproductions? Anyone know? And how can one even tell whether or not the rifling is progressive depth? I would appreciate any insight.

I have collected for shooting a number of ACW period reproduction muskets, mostly Enfields and Springfields. I have Parker Hale Birmingham Enfields, Miroku Springfields, and Italian representations of a handful of other muzzleloading musket types. I understand that no Italian manufacturer has provided progressive depth rifling for any modern reproductions but that Parker Hale’s reproductions are so rifled. What about Miroku military reproductions? Anyone know? And how can one even tell whether or not the rifling is progressive depth? I would appreciate any insight.
Remove the breach plug, Pin gauge the depth of rifling at the breach and then compare to the measurements you get at the muzzle.

If you are shooting correct reproductions of military loadings, and get good accuracy at the distances you shoot, it really doesn't matter, does it?

Remove the breach plug, Pin gauge the depth of rifling at the breach and then compare to the measurements you get at the muzzle.

If you are shooting correct reproductions of military loadings, and get good accuracy at the distances you shoot, it really doesn't matter, does it?

Remove the breech plug of a Parker-Hale rifle? Good luck with that.

With respect, I don't believe that's correct. My understanding is that the land-to-land distance is constant and only the depth of the grooves changes, from something like .015 at the breech to .005 at the bore. So a pin gauge wouldn't establish that - right? (I've not used pin gauges so I'm genuinely asking if my understanding is correct.)

@Cubreac: I understood that about Parker Hales, and that's one of the reasons I worked for a few years to get good examples of the 1853, 1858 and 1861 patterns. They all shoot very well. My 1861 and 1863 Miroku Springfields are also very accurate and that's one of the reasons I asked about the rifling of the Mirokus. Regarding my collection - thanks for the compliment. My wife died a few years ago and I sort of went crazy collecting MZ firearms, I suppose as a way of coping. I would trade them all for just five minutes again with her.

I have a 1863 Miroku and it does not have progressive depth rifling. I've never heard of any reproduction other than P-H that does.

If one measures the diameter at 180° between a land and groove (or groove to groove if they line up at 180° from each other) on one end of a barrel and compares that measurement to what is obtained on the other end of the barrel, if the breach diameter measured was found to be greater than what was measured at the muzzle end, would that not be an indicator that the rifling was deeper at the breach end than at the muzzle end?

Is that not what the OP asked?

I was not trying to convey a method of measuring the depth of the rifling itself, just a simple method to determine if there was a difference from one end of the barrel to the other.

If one measures the diameter at 180° between a land and groove (or groove to groove if they line up at 180° from each other) on one end of a barrel and compares that measurement to what is obtained on the other end of the barrel, if the breach diameter measured was found to be greater than what was measured at the muzzle end, would that not be an indicator that the rifling was deeper at the breach end than at the muzzle end?

Is that not what the OP asked?

I was not trying to convey a method of measuring the depth of the rifling itself, just a simple method to determine if there was a difference from one end of the barrel to the other.
Unbreeching these rifles is not recommended unless there is an over riding mechanical reason to do so.

Ah-ha. I think I understand now. However, I'm not skilled or confident enough to remove the breech on any rifle. Otherwise it seems like an easy way to measure, though. Thanks!

My understanding is that only those P-H rifles with serial numbers under 1500 have the progressive rifling.
Most P-H rifles with a serial number under 1500 were Volunteers or Whitworths. The Enfields don’t generally come in until, 1000+ and then not exclusively. All their Enfields as far as I know had progressive depth rifling.

David

Latest posts

Back