• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Underhammer alert! Doctor Gorning's design

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A view of the side slapper lock on my target rifle from 1885.

Attachments

• 20220702_161906.jpg
    20220702_161906.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0
Longcruise, I said it was a "loving poke" because I appreciate and have been registered on the ALR forum for some time. It is indeed a well moderated forum and a wonderful resource. That said, the underhammer principle is said to have originated in Germany in 1740, and was first patented in the US in 1826, within a couple of years of the appearance of the percussion lock in this country. Why an underhammer rifle with 40-inch barrel and full stock is not "an American long rifle" but a similar rifle from the same time frame with a percussion side lock is, is a distinction lost to me.

Bill, I had no intention of coming across as preaching to you and I apologize if I did. I wanted to explain the basic concept of forum orientation for @Daytime Smoker

I also at one time brought up underhammers on ALR and heard from admin.

Longcruise, no ill will intended or offense taken, whatsoever! I don't know if side-slappers are taboo over there as well. I have never brought them up that I recall.
I got in trouble at ALR after I mentioned the Billinghursts upon learning of the passing of a gentleman who used to post here. I believe he was a college professor from West Virginia. He built some lovely Billinghurst-pattern target rifles and even sent me a stock tracing and construction advice. At the time, he was using wonderfully smooth Bill Moody 12-L-14 barrels supplied by Moody with false muzzles. Oh how I wish I had a couple of those barrels put away!
Miltie, that is a wonderful rifle you have there. Feel free to post more images! :cool:

Since the idea started long caps, has anyone seen a flintolck underhammer? Pictures, at least, should be out there.

Underhammer design is pretty specific to the middle-late percussion era. While flintlocks CAN fire upside down, it's generally not practical to fill the pan and carry it that way. I'd be stunned if any were made.

Latest posts

Back