• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Overshot diameter for 50 caliber.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gacitizen

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just completed a smoothbore with a bore diameter of .513. I would appreciate some information about what size overshot wads to purchase.

Thanks

Call either Circle Fly direct, or talk to the good folks at Track of the Wolf, who sell the OP Wads. They know the actual dimensions of the wads, and can tell you what will work. .515" is a 34 gauge, while the 28 gauge is .550. If you can use the Ox Yoke Felt wads, in 28 gauge, they should be a good tight seal in that barrel.

www.circlefly.com seems to be an industry leader in ML smoothbore wads...normally have good info and selection charts to help. I use their OS cards and prelubed OP cushion wads in .54 and .62cal smoothbores with excellent results.

Note, if this is your first smoothbore, something you may not be aware of it the need for flat faced shotgun jags. When seating a thin over shot card with a typical concave-faced ball seating jag it can curve the edges of the OS card down all around it, effectively making it a smaller diameter and it can lose it's tight contact with the bore walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all of you for the useful information. I guess I'll have to call Circle Fly direct to see what is available, TOW lists .510 and nothing else until .560. Neither does DGW list anything close.

I also have a 62 caliber and use a shotgun button for the tip.

Thanks again!

PS Thanks for the link

Latest posts

Back