• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Out squirreln’

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2A4CB23B-07D1-449B-B1D2-D2872EB1416B.jpeg

9905CB51-F67D-4ED7-9B8E-9542D867CCFD.jpeg

Nice! Tell us about your gun? Also I think it’s a must to know your dogs name!
474FD0C5-BDEE-442B-8CF8-3F910D0B6D73.jpeg0AE550C1-B003-4E4C-9BF7-B88226266CD3.jpeg
Thanks man! This evening was the first time I’ve shot it since getting it from a fellow forum member. From what I have learned, it is a half stock New York style rifle. Possibly 1845-1850ish? There are no maker's marks on the barrel. The only markings are 'J Dana & Co, Warranted' on the lock. The 26" octagon to round barrel Measures about .37 caliber with 7 grooves. I’m not sure of the twist. I’ll check it when I clean it up here in a bit. The bore and rifling are in really good shape. I was using a .360 ball with a .015 patch. Felt like I could have used a .020 patch.

Murphy is my pards name. He’s a blue heeler & catahoula mix I’m thinking. Not real sure. He's a nut. He knows we are looking for squirrels, and probably laughs at me me when I miss. He’s a wonderful dog. He shares a cot with me at my camp, and will not let anyone touch me while I’m asleep. A fine gift from the Great Architect.
30F88407-F8B5-49B8-B2CA-D07EAAF069C1.jpeg

That is a fine looking rifle!!
Thank you!

View attachment 190493View attachment 190494
Thanks man! This evening was the first time I’ve shot it since getting it from a fellow forum member. From what I have learned, it is a half stock New York style rifle. Possibly 1845-1850ish? There are no maker's marks on the barrel. The only markings are 'J Dana & Co, Warranted' on the lock. The 26" octagon to round barrel Measures about .37 caliber with 7 grooves. I’m not sure of the twist. I’ll check it when I clean it up here in a bit. The bore and rifling are in really good shape. I was using a .360 ball with a .015 patch. Felt like I could have used a .020 patch.

Murphy is my pards name. He’s a blue heeler & catahoula mix I’m thinking. Not real sure. He's a nut. He knows we are looking for squirrels, and probably laughs at me me when I miss. He’s a wonderful dog. He shares a cot with me at my camp, and will not let anyone touch me while I’m asleep. A fine gift from the Great Architect.
View attachment 190490

Thank you!
That is a fine rifle. I love the looks of it. Cool dog too. If a man has a great rifle and a better dog he really doesn't need much else...

Back