• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Traditions Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFeather

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Was going through some old mags and such today and came across a Traditions flyer from around 1990. They used to sell a large Hawken that had two wedges and a long tang, plus some modest inlays. Always thought it looked pretty good for a Spanish gun and maybe was the equal to the CVA Mountain Rifle. Anyone seen these? I remember dealers having them at shows, but haven't seen one since, either at the range or on the auctions.

RedFeather

If I ever get my scanner hooked up. They were a larger gun that the present Hawken. I remember they had those inlays like the Shenandoah or Pennslyvania rifle and a long, nicely styled tang. Just haven't seen one since and it's been a while.

RedFeather

Hi,

Is this the one you are referring to. I purchased as a kit in 93 I believe.

Don
[url] http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/demathisen/album?.dir=/7c28[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, if you built that rifle yourself, congrats, it looks real nice. A Hawken replica it's not. The trigger guards are not of the Hawken style, nor are the brass oval inlays. For authenticity check out John D. Bairds book, Hawken Rifles The Mountain Man's Choice.

Yep, that's it. Thought they were fine looking rifles. Does it shoot "authentically"?

RedFeather

ps - I liked the simple inlays. Not bad for a factory gun, plus they kind of look nice. We all ain't Sam Hawken.

The Hawken all associate with the Hawken shop is what many think all Hawkens look like, but they are wrong. Hawken also put together low priced, but servicable, plain Jane small bore rifles for the local trade.

Okay TANSTAAFL, you're right. The Hawken shop did in fact build smaller light caliber rifles for the local trade. They were generally of 38 caliber, stocked in walnut or maple, iron or brass mounted. If they were stamped at all, it would have been the S. Hawken stamp. These were not Mountain Rifles though. When most people think of Hawken Rifles, they're thinking of the Mountain Rifle.

I was just asking about the full sized Traditions rifle THEY called Hawken. Didn't mean to start a string on what's permissible. If folks are so hell bent on authenticity :bow: , must we limit ourselves to barrels made out of "stub twist"? Save up horse shoes nails till we get enough? :grin: Better use a hand-pumped bellows to melt 'em down, too. If this sport ever gets to the point where only genuine copies are allowed, we'll all be able to shoot for a month of Sundays on a single pound of black.

RedFeather

Okay RedFeather, you made your point. I did'nt mean to ruffle any body's feathers. I apoligize if I did so. I guess I get carried away with the historical stuff at times. Sorry.

Hi Redfeather,

It's a good shooter. Although I am a novice and haven't had a chance to experiment to find the right ball/patch combo and load. After a long hiatus I have the urge to pick up muzzleloading so I will update this group on my progress and learning pains. I also have a T/C Cherokee in 32 that is really sweet.

This forum is a great resource and I look forward to contributing.

Don

Flyboy, no offense taken. Guess I should have been less keen to hit the emoticons ( :redface: ). I know that there are a lot of shooters who want to recreate the whole experience. Just that a lot of others, like myself for instance, don't have pockets deep enough to spring for a really detailed copy. The Traditions are kind of like the T/C in that they surely aren't a repro, more like a retro. They still have a place and can be nice looking guns in their own right. Now, a patchbox on an inline, well, I will draw the line at that. (Would it still be a "patch" box? A "sabot" box?)

To be frank, you might not want to tote what some of those old boys had back then. Somewhere (an old Muzzle Blasts?) I saw an inventory order for one of the fur trading companies listing guns they were bringing to a rendevous. Quite a number of smoothbores and more than a few with German silver inlays. Maybe I can dig it up.

RedFeather

This was posted in another thread. I believe it is the rifle you are looking for.
[url] http://www.ardesa.com/avancarga/eng/pop_hawk2chal.htm[/url]

There is no US dealer listed other than Traditions. Traditions only sells the Ardessa stuff made for them. Apparently getting one of the Hawkens or the single barrel shotgun I looked at would be difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya I ran across that list or two in a 60s or 70s a few days ago reading about how safe 300 gr loads are in todays guns (back the )??? and they did carry a lot of "stuff". When I put the names of people that built the Hawkins back then the last guy Braid said was a ingraver ect and they had a calling for for a lot of silver inlays ect near the end 1850s org run. Braid has pics of one or two in the 67 issue I think it is. Something I didnt know till today the Hawkin was named "The Rockey Mountain Rifle" by them not a Hawkin? I dont know a thing about Traditions I thought it was kind of new but they have ads back in the 70s I think it is(with out cking. Fred :hatsoff:

Back