• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Original Hawkin.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Your statement is correct.
The problem is of course iether ignorance or not being able to spell the builders name correctly, as I believe you know.

Blitz P.S. There now I have stuck my foot in it!
I recal a statement made by the kids in school that were the offspring of the Dust bowl emigrants to California when I was a kid. They often said( I may be ignorant, but I am not stupid ) and rightfully so.
spell check usually works!

Blitz
I'm embarrassed that I misspelled Hawken. I had a favorite uncle with the last name Hawkins, so there ya go. I guess I'm not a commonsewer of these more valuable guns.

I read a lot of the first-person accounts of the western frontier. Some of these folks dictated their memoirs for transcription, but some were actually very literate fellows who wrote for themselves. The names J. & S. HAWKEN or S. HAWKEN were stamped clearly on the barrels of these rifles, yet almost everyone, including the very literate fellows (Garrard, Ruxton, Brewerton...), wrote "Hawkins" when they mentioned the rifles in their memoirs. So, it is an error, but it is an honest mistake and there is historical precedent for it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Don't be so hard on yourself 2001, You may be more of a "commonsewer" then you realize. :doh: :thumb:

I'm embarrassed that I misspelled Hawken. I had a favorite uncle with the last name Hawkins, so there ya go. I guess I'm not a commonsewer of these more valuable guns.
I must apologize for my original post. we see so many that really don't know the correct spelling i just opened my mouth and inserted my boot. have been crotchety for a while according to the bride.
best of luck and post up some car pictures. i have a friend with deep pockets, looking for a sixties mustang. 67-69

Last edited:
Define "within reason" as it regards price. A couple months ago I did ask around, and found 9) J.&S. Hawken/S. Hawken "mountain" or "plains" rifles for sale (plus a couple of S. Hawken rifles made for the local trade). Price range was from ~$38,000-$135,000. Provenance played a big factor in the highest price, but even if you threw that one out the range was $38,000-$105,000. At least 3 have since sold.
I am seriously looking. Learning about "within reason".
I have found one authentic Hawken, supposed to be for sale but the guy wants to talk to his family, etc. etc.
I'm surprised that there are people who are trying to sell replica rifles and they will argue that they are "original".
Would appreciate leads, help!

Well, here is one that got away...

About a year ago, a forum member posted about an original rifle, an actual attic find (literally!), that was marked S. HAWKEN ST. LOUIS. We had a lively discussion that rambled on for nine pages: Real Hawken or Not? Some forum members thought the rifle was genuine, others didn't. One particularly cool factor was that the owner found a cache of the rifle's original accessories along with it, including a powder horn and measure, mould and ladle, a little container with balls and patches, and a blowing horn. It was really a nice outfit.

The member who posted was a good fellow. He evidently got the rifle examined by an expert, and it was determined to be genuine. I was browsing around on the Buffalo Arms Company (BACO) website a few days ago and found that the rifle and accoutrements we had discussed on this forum had sold through them for $25K. While the rifle has sold, the photos and description are still up on the website for viewing. I have no doubt that it is the same rifle: Original Hawken Muzzleloader

While this .40 caliber rifle was one of the "lightweight" Hawkens and not one of the heavy, big-bore mountain rifles, and it looked to me as if it had been re-breeched, it was an original Hawken in very good shape overall. I guess it just shows that they are out there, they are still changing hands, and we can't rule out the possibility of another previously unknown Hawken coming to light.

I would agree with @William Sublette , in post #46. Good luck to the OP, and I hope he will keep us informed.

Notchy Bob

Well, here is one that got away...

About a year ago, a forum member posted about an original rifle, an actual attic find (literally!), that was marked S. HAWKEN ST. LOUIS. We had a lively discussion that rambled on for nine pages: Real Hawken or Not? Some forum members thought the rifle was genuine, others didn't. One particularly cool factor was that the owner found a cache of the rifle's original accessories along with it, including a powder horn and measure, mould and ladle, a little container with balls and patches, and a blowing horn. It was really a nice outfit.

The member who posted was a good fellow. He evidently got the rifle examined by an expert, and it was determined to be genuine. I was browsing around on the Buffalo Arms Company (BACO) website a few days ago and found that the rifle and accoutrements we had discussed on this forum had sold through them for $25K. While the rifle has sold, the photos and description are still up on the website for viewing. I have no doubt that it is the same rifle: Original Hawken Muzzleloader

While this .40 caliber rifle was one of the "lightweight" Hawkens and not one of the heavy, big-bore mountain rifles, and it looked to me as if it had been re-breeched, it was an original Hawken in very good shape overall. I guess it just shows that they are out there, they are still changing hands, and we can't rule out the possibility of another previously unknown Hawken coming to light.

I would agree with @William Sublette , in post #46. Good luck to the OP, and I hope he will keep us informed.

Notchy Bob
I just listed a fully transferrable, Norrell full auto 10/22 trigger pack on Gunbroker Auction and Guns International.
Trying to generate some gun funds. Anybody need to warm up their .22?
Whoever said the search is half the fun might have been a lot younger than me! I'm in the last quarter. Searching.

Back