• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Options for a very large touch hole in a miniature black powder cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuartersawnOak

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have a cannon that has a 5mm touch hole opening. It looks like someones work that made it that way. I had one other of this type and the hole was half this size. Is there a fuse width to fit this opening or another option for ingnition? See photos. Thanks for suggestions.
IMG_0170.jpeg

You can just have a little mound of powder on that and touch it off with a long match or make an old style fuse with a narrow cone of paper filled with powder.

Would recommend tapping with 6mmx1.0 tap as 5mm hole is the proper size. Use a 6mmx1.0 steel bolt with drilled 3/32 vent hole. That will accept 2mm fireworks fuse from Amazon. Would not use stainless as the desire is for it to blend in better, and it will outlast you anyway. Would like to add that not enough information has been given to say if it would be safe to fire.

Last edited:
Drill it out, thread
I have a cannon that has a 5mm touch hole opening. It looks like someones work that made it that way. I had one other of this type and the hole was half this size. Is there a fuse width to fit this opening or another option for ingnition? See photos. Thanks for suggestions.View attachment 133651
[/QUOTE

Drill and tap the hole to the next convenient size, screw in a bolt, cut it off then drill it as needed.

Back