• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opra

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowolf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well the "Opra" rifle is finally finished.
DCP_0008.jpg

The faux stipes are vinegar based stain with steel wool disolved in it. The overall finish is Vinegar with rusting barbed wired disolved in it and a bit of Hydrogen Peroxide added. Three coats of Tru-Oil and Johnsons Paste wax. All brass rubbed down with BC Perma-Blue.

Waya

The real question is was it worth it, and what does she have up her sleeve now, that she's gonna want you to do. You gotta watch out these wimin folk are pretty tricky. You might have to get a post nup agreement. :crackup: Ya right, just like kids they don't come with operating manuals.

Very nice job :applause:...Its nice to finally see someone use the right kind o lock... only problem I see is the lock is on the wrong side :: Have you shot it yet???

Long story short version, wife made me promise to take her to the Oprah show, since I bought another "damn" gun after promising that I had all the guns I needed (about 3 guns back :))

I guess next year I will promise to go see Dr. Pil in exhange for the fullstock Hawken I want to build. :peace:

Certainly, sanded stock using from 60 grit to 220 grit, finished with three sandings using wet dry 600 and water. Let it dry and wet sanded with purified linseed oil and 600 grt w-d paper. Let it sit for a week, then using a vinegar stain with steel wool disolved in it painted on the stripes, 2 coats, let it dry overnight (no no bakings soda wash). Then coated with one coat of a vinegar stain that we made using rusty barbed wire, diluted with a small amount of Hydrogen peroxide (reason for 2 different shades of stain, 2 different sources of iron. Then 600 grit w-d sand paper and tru oil, followed by three coats of hand rubbed tru oil and Johnson's paste wax. Barrel was cold browned using Dangler's brown, brass blacked using BC Perma-Blue. I think it came out well for a $159 Traditions kit. Hopefully, I can get it to the range this weekend and shot it.

Waya :results:

Back