• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bluing small parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve used charcoal bluing and nitre salt bluing. Nitre salt bluing provides the most even coloring but to be honest it’s more of steel tempering method than a bluing method. But the end results are very a attractive second blue.

cold Bluing or Rust Bluing doesn’t work well on 4130 and 4140 alloy steels, it actually turns them a violet color. Nitre bluing, and charcoal bluing are the best methods for some steels.

Sorry Nick, I hadnt heard of melting just the salts. Thanks for the video. Thatd take an awful amount of heat to warm tanks large enough for 24 barrels. We used salts from Brownells and also another manufacturer I cant think of right now. Just to clarify about adding water to the salt solution. It was done with a long handled ladel. Lowered down into the tank and rolled over, not dropped from above.

Sorry Nick, I hadnt heard of melting just the salts. Thanks for the video. Thatd take an awful amount of heat to warm tanks large enough for 24 barrels. We used salts from Brownells and also another manufacturer I cant think of right now. Just to clarify about adding water to the salt solution. It was done with a long handled ladel. Lowered down into the tank and rolled over, not dropped from above.

I only use melted salts for small parts, screws, but its a great method of tempering parts including springs. Works really good on 1095 springs.

Back