• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions or info on Colt 36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Son

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Lets see if i can do this right.Brother in law aquired this,he thinks 70s replica but says Colt everything.Silver plated backstrap never shot,wondering about value of course and if Colt made it,just wondering about this piece.Many thanks for educated opinions!!!

2014-02-24161528_zps7a3ba4f6.jpg

2014-02-24162215_zps8e75d2ee.jpg

2014-02-24162133_zps136d6a0b.jpg

Chief, your brother-in-law 'done good'! That is one of what is now called the "C"Series 1851 Colt's Navy revolvers that first began the now famous "2nd Generation" of Colt percussion revolvers. They began production in 1971 at serial number 4201 and continued to 1978 with serial number 25099. Figuring +or- 2612 pieces a year, this one is from the 1972 run. The whole 2nd Generation thing came about when Colt's Anthony Imperato convinced the company to consider the idea and then worked with Val Forgett, Sr. of Navy Arms to get Aldo Uberti to make the basic parts that were finished and assembled by Colt in Hartford, Conn. As Colt began adding more models to their line and production was seen to be increasing, the operation was moved to the works of Iver Johnson Arms with Imperato being the new president of Colt Blackpowder Arms Company..."the same process of finishing components produced in Italy to Colt's specifications continued throughout the entire 2nd Generation, however, the frames, centerpins(arbors), nipples and screws for all 2nd Generation models were made by Iver Johnson Arms in (Middlesex)New Jersey. This from "Colt Blackpowder Reproductions & Replicas-A Collector's & Shooter's Guide" by Dennis Adler, the definitive work to date.

As for value, they vary a lot. In the past year or more I've seen the "C" models offered from $750 to $1200 depending on who has them and what they value them at. Some show up in the box, such as yours while others are sometimes transferred to wood boxes with accessories, not always the Colt made ones. Since Colt's last "suggested retail" price was $550 and nearly 30 years ago, sky's the limit, I suppose. Depends on how much you guys value it and how much someone else might be willing to pay. Your brother-in-law's revolver looks very good with only a bit of age tarnish on the silvered backstrap/triggerguard. All you have to do is find another and you can take turns doing the Wild Bill thing!

Now, if you guys just can't stand to see a good gun sit idle, every one I've had dealings with,and there's been a few, have done their best with 27 grains of FFFg. Why 27 grains and not 25 or 28...I have no idea, they just do. Call it kizmet, call it matching velocity to ball rotation, call it phases of the moon! That load cranks out about 815 fps and fairly whistles those balls. But whatever you all decide on, have fun! :thumbsup:

Godbless ya and thank you.I'll tell him it a bad replica and i'll give him 250.00 for it :bow: :grin: I think he paid something like 450.00 maybe 5 not real sure,we were showin our colections back and forth and we were throwing all kinds of numbers at each other,i may end up with or find another,but i bet it won't be easy!

They're out there. Saw one at an Austin gun show a while back for $695 in a box with accessories, though they weren't the Colt made ones that originally in the boxed sets. That's not a real problem unless you're a dedicated collector. I'd be getting one to shoot, so would't matter. maybe one day! They did come with nipples that are probably a lot better than the Italian ones. They show up on the gun auction sites and elsewhere. Nose to the ground...one will sneak up on you! :wink:

Greasy old man Imperato was John Jovino Gunshop owner in NYC* who always had get-rich-quick schemes and convinced Colt to let him use their otherwise dead name, numbers, on guns made in Italy. "Colt Blackpowder." They owned some other manure gun names. Iver Johnson was one... When all these failed, and they did, finally they done good with popular Henry Repeating Arms and then the greasy old man died as it took off in popularity and had to expand...

... to New Jersey of all places.

Colt Blackpowder do command a premium over regular Italian repros which is really what they all are. But don't cheat your family -- don't want to pay it, don't buy it.

*A whole relative used to work for him. This generations-old gunshop is one of three (were only two for decades) literally in the shadow of the NYC Police Headquarters -- the NYPD is larger than almost all countries ARMIES. Location, location, location!

Tell you what Dennis, if you like learning something...check out new post of deliberately staged chain-fire and shooting a M.1860 in a tub of water. Don't you just love the "ya'll hold my beer and watch this" crowd!?? :doh:

That is a very nice early four digit 2nd Generation Colt 1851 Navy .36.

The hinged lid box is the 2nd style Colt offered with the 1851. The first boxes were black outside with " Colt " in gold on top of the hinged lid. There were two more standard boxes later plus the lined wooden partition cases.

Wes/Tex is correct that prices vary on these. The 2nd Generation Colts can often be found at reasonable prices at gun shows.

In my opinion your brother in law did well paying the $450 or $500 you mentioned. The Colt would sell for more at most well publicized auctions.

For $75; a factory letter from Colt will tell when and where the Colt was shipped. http://www.coltsmfg.com/CustomerServices/ArchiveServices.aspx

My first 2nd Generation Colt 1851 was bought new in the same style box as pictured. It is in the 11,9xx serial number range. Picked it out from three at a gun show in the very early 1970's . Think it cost $125 out the door. $150 was retail back then which was a lot of money in those days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Say that to Tony Guns face~Ya might say he is a friend of mine~That's his alias,~Tony Gun~ :surrender:

He's probably readin all this.. :haha: got ta throw some BS now and then to make a good story :wink:

Chief Moonthunder said:
Say that to Tony Guns face~Ya might say he is a friend of mine~That's his alias,~Tony Gun~ :surrender:

Huh? Say what to whose face!? As I said, he's dead. I can't even lible him! Jr. just inherited the grease...

Wes/Tex said:
That is one of what is now called the "C"Series 1851 Colt's Navy revolvers that first began the now famous "2nd Generation" of Colt percussion revolvers. They began production in 1971 at serial number 4201 and continued to 1978 with serial number 25099.
So, that wasn't the first of the "new" Colt percussion revolvers to be introduced? I have Grant-Lee commemoratives with matching serial numbers 11XX, where do they fit into the chronology?

Spence

Spence, the 2nd Generation Colt 1851 Navy U.S. Grant and Robert E. Lee commemoratives were made in 1971 the same year as the first of the standard model 2nd Generation 1851's. People have designated the standard models as the "C series".

I think the Grant and Lee commemoratives were also C series model identification. The C series actually denotes part of the model number, i.e. a " C " followed by four numbers depending on the model. A standard first year Colt 2nd Generation 1851 Navy would be a model C1121.

Colt also made 3rd Model Dragoons in the C series.

The C series are the first Colt percussion revolvers to be made again by Colt since they were discontinued in the 1800's. There is no A or B series. The F series of 10 different models of Colt percussion's were started in 1978 after about a two year production gap when the C series ceased production. C and F series were the only models Colt offered.

All in all just a bit confusing. :hmm:

Thanks, Robert, that helps. I bought my guns in 1971 and knew what was involved with them, then, but that was a long time ago.

Spence

Sorry I didn't get back in here sooner. What Robert says is what is accepted now. The commemorative Lee/Grant guns and the 1971-1972 production was subcontracted to Val Frogett @ Navy Arms for Cot, then turned over to the Imperato/Iver Johnson group who finished the initial run using Uberti parts plus those they made as mentioned above. To Colt and all the collectors, they are all considered to be Colt made guns in spite of all the jumble...sort of like a Ford is a Ford, even if the parts are made in Mexico and assembled in Canada! :doh: :idunno: :rotf:

Back