• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt navy .36 reproduction or real… help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coryridens

32 Cal
Reaction score
Help! bought this today for 150 dollars (took a chance on it) I was told .36 colt navy only has one id# stamp, pretty cool gun would love to learn more about it! I think it’s a replica , tho the person I got it from believed that it was a real 1856. Would love to see what it’s worth and the year it was really made. It’s in pretty good shape

Attachments

• IMG_6408.jpeg
    IMG_6408.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6409.jpeg
    IMG_6409.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6407.jpeg
    IMG_6407.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6411.jpeg
    IMG_6411.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6410.jpeg
    IMG_6410.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6404.jpeg
    IMG_6404.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
So it's a 1851 Brass "Navy", not a 1856, and it's a Connecticut Valley Arms (CVA) reproduction of the Colt. Colt didn't make a brass framed 1851, as far as I know. That's either an OK price or a good price, depending on the condition of the bore, and the internal parts.

LD

So it's a 1851 Brass "Navy", not a 1856, and it's a Connecticut Valley Arms (CVA) reproduction of the Colt. Colt didn't make a brass framed 1851, as far as I know. That's either an OK price or a good price, depending on the condition of the bore, and the internal parts.

LD
I was figuring that it wasn’t a real 1851 navy, but still pretty cool. Bore and internal parts looks good, gun may not be a original but seems to have been well taken care of. Any idea on what year a navy reproduction like this one was made? Or a value

I was figuring that it wasn’t a real 1851 navy, the gal it came from said it was produced in 1856.. but I didn’t believe that was the case. still pretty cool Facebook find. Bore and internal parts looks good, gun may not be a original but seems to have been well taken care of. Any idea on what year a navy reproduction like this one was made? Or a value.

I was figuring that it wasn’t a real 1851 navy, but still pretty cool. Bore and internal parts looks good, gun may not be a original but seems to have been well taken care of. Any idea on what year a navy reproduction like this one was made? Or a value
Look on the underside of the barrel and see if it has a maker name on it. ASM or Pietta. Early CVA were ASM and later Pietta. See if there is a date code. Roman numerals or letters in a box. ASM often marked their pistols on the bottom side of the barrel. That pistol may have been a kit gun and I have seen CVA pistol kits that didn't have much for markings or date out of the box or the markings were removed by the owner when asswmbling it..

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all the great information! It does have a asm -black powder only made in Italy stamp on the bottom, the only numbers are the ones shown in pictures. Either way it’s a pretty cool pistol and a cool conversation piece! glad I was able to find it now I just need a old western holster to put it in to hang on the wall

Back