• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions on Dangler browning solution

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used Davis browning solution for about the last 20 years , but use it , with a damp box. Almost any browning solution will work with a damp box , and another technique I discovered by accident , is to use a super fine wire wheel for the final polish. I've tried degreasing with most any chemical solution , suggested by experts , with marginal success , but the extremely fine wire wheel , is the most successful. You may ask , where to get a super fine 6" wire wheel? , I don't know. I found mine in an industrial warehouse used tool supply. This was back 30+ yrs. ago , when I was trying anything to get good reliable , and simple browning processes. It worked amazingly well.

I have used Davis browning solution for about the last 20 years , but use it , with a damp box. Almost any browning solution will work with a damp box , and another technique I discovered by accident , is to use a super fine wire wheel for the final polish. I've tried degreasing with most any chemical solution , suggested by experts , with marginal success , but the extremely fine wire wheel , is the most successful. You may ask , where to get a super fine 6" wire wheel? , I don't know. I found mine in an industrial warehouse used tool supply. This was back 30+ yrs. ago , when I was trying anything to get good reliable , and simple browning processes. It worked amazingly well.
Thanks , I appreciate it

Rob, I’ve used the old DGW browning and Laurel Mountain. Haven’t used the Dangler’s, but I really like Laurel Mountain.

Rob, I’ve used the old DGW browning and Laurel Mountain. Haven’t used the Dangler’s, but I really like Laurel Mountain.
Hey bud ... Ive used Birchwood Casey for ....lordy ... off and on for 30 years , I remember painting it on CVA parts in the 70 s and 80s with my step father ... It works but its slow with my barrels and iron . I have to heat the parts with a torch each time I want to apply it and let it sit a long time watching as the rust takes over and finally starts doing it thing then stopping it when it gets to the rusting stage I like . I just browned the Fusil de Chasse parts with Mtn. Laurel and I'm pretty darn happy with the results , looks great ....perhaps a bit too early for me to say that but will know for sure tomorrow on final assembly . It looks darn good . Unfortunately it takes just as long as B.W. Casey's Plum brown so that sucks but ....I do think I'm done with ole Birchwood Casey ...if the only thing that Mtn. Laurel or Danglers does if save me from using propane thats good enough reason for me to start using these cold brownings . Process is exactly the same just no torch . The browning looks very nice and even too . Cool ... After hearing these fellers testimonials I'm excited to try Homer Danglers browning next and kinda compare the two and then buy out the entire stock from Log Cabin Shop of the winner !! LOL ... No faster way to brown but ...I bit better . An interesting observation too . Plum Brown ....once it gets started its darn hard to get it to stop working . You have to be darn careful . I had a customer put a new gun away and not check it for months ....and it rusted up bad . I had to take it all down and fix my F&%$ up . I had watched it for a week and didntvsee any evidence of it still working but alas , it was . Thats when I started soaking my parts in oil , emersed in oil ! to kill the browning solution . Ive only had this Fusil barrel hanging not soaking , making a new barrel soaking apparatus , and this Fusil barrel is showing g no signs what so ever of the solution still working . With the Plum Brown , it will look really dry and crusty just a couple hours after applying oil to it ....and you have to keep applying or soak a barrel until it stops doing this . So ...so far the current Fusil barrel has shown no sign of " dry rusty nasties " so .... Another benefit perhaps . Interesting . Funny thing ...for the life of me ....I have absolutely no idea how these two bottles of Homer Dangler browning solution got in my shop ! LOL ... I didn't buy it ! No idea , LOL ....can't wait to try it . Take care bud

Back