• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Started my Kibler Colonial...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, it worked out good and I'm back on the road to finishing. I might have it finished next weekend, I have a lot going on in my shop making custom knives and busting a new firebreak thru the woods on my property for a prescribed burn.
I'll be sure to post pics when it's done!
I'm going to start another thread on finishing locks, I need to do something with the lock.

Pull the tang screw and the barrel pins out. Does the barrel seat all the way at that point? Will it seat if a bit of wood is removed at the back of the tang, because that looks tight? And yes, humidity makes a lot of difference.

If you get the barrel to seat. Then if it moves when the pins and tang screw are installed. You may have to move the trigger group back just a bit. The trigger group is a bit of a wedge fit.

Or, try using the supplied tap and run it through where the tang screw goes and see if it fudges things just enough to close that gap.

Sorry to go off topic, but I just HAVE to ask if the dog in your Avatar photo is an English Springer Spaniel or a Brittany Spaniel?

Gus

Sorry to go off topic, but I just HAVE to ask if the dog in your Avatar photo is an English Springer Spaniel or a Brittany Spaniel?

Gus

He was a beautiful English Springer Spaniel and my best bud for many years.

Looking forward to seeing the finished pics of the rifle in this thread.

He was a beautiful English Springer Spaniel and my best bud for many years.

My first dog was a Liver and White English Springer Spaniel as well. It was a joy to watch him work a field for Quail and Pheasant or watch him retrieve a Duck or Goose from the coldest water. Thanks for bringing back some cherished memories.

Gus

My first dog was a Liver and White English Springer Spaniel as well. It was a joy to watch him work a field for Quail and Pheasant or watch him retrieve a Duck or Goose from the coldest water. Thanks for bringing back some cherished memories.

Gus
You would enjoy this book: A Rough Shooting Dog, by Charles Fergus.
Published '91 and likely not to be found locally. But used copies on Amazon are very reasonable.

OK, I got it finished today but only got a couple quick pics for now, I'll post more in another thread, including where I put the shims behind the barrel, that worked out great. I'll be shooting it in a couple days my atv broke down and I have to get that thing back up and running.
I used Kiblers iron nitrate, 8 coats of Jim Chambers stock oil, brushed back with 0000 steel wool and two coats of Minwax finishing wax.
trJ25Gd.jpg

26xOog3.jpg

Yes, the brass plate came with the kit but no screws for it, the only screws I had on hand were phillip's head. I felt really wrong using them...one day I'll find a couple small flatheads to replace them😬

Hi,
Nice wood. For heavens sake get rid of those Philips head screws. Garypl, the vast majority of rifles made with wooden patch box lids had brass or iron end caps on the lids. Only a small minority did not so it isn't a nice touch, it is actually the norm.

dave

Hi,
Nice wood. For heavens sake get rid of those Philips head screws. Garypl, the vast majority of rifles made with wooden patch box lids had brass or iron end caps on the lids. Only a small minority did not so it isn't a nice touch, it is actually the norm.

dave
Dave - I agree with you - most of the wood patch box covers I have seen have metal end caps, but many of the pics of finished Kibler kits do not show the metal plates. I didn’t think the kits came with them, but glad to hear that they are now including them! I was planning to add a brass end cap anyway and this will save me the trouble of cutting one out of sheet brass!

Thanks everyone, got to finally do some lead slinging today.
just messing around breaking it in a little, shot about 15 times 70-80 gr. FFF, couple different patch lubes and adjusting sights. I really like it and plan on using it deer hunting this year, I'm sure I'll have it dialed in and feel good with it soon.
here's a short vid I took, I think this was the third shot. I'm using FFF in the pan too.

Back