• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinion on “Custom Oil Gun Stock Finish”

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am accustomed on cleaning my stocks (if needed) with warm water, Murphy Soap and a wash cloth. On any stock in the past on occasion I have use Boiled Linseed Oil, and use Renaissance Polish.

I came across this stuff and a little
reluctant on any hard gloss polish. Any opinions out here?? “Pro Custom Oil Gun Stock Finish”. Thanks

Attachments

• BE218DBC-1F90-4F1D-9A7F-A0C593E5F570.jpeg
    BE218DBC-1F90-4F1D-9A7F-A0C593E5F570.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 29
I have only used Tung oil finishes for decades. The piece Im working on now (not a smoke pole) Im using Birchwood Tru-oil. As far as I can tell, (only 3 coats in) It works the same as Tung Oil.
I work only with walnut, so other woods I dont know.

My flinter was built in 2005, and is as water proof as the first year I took into the bush.

I am accustomed on cleaning my stocks (if needed) with warm water, Murphy Soap and a wash cloth. On any stock in the past on occasion I have use Boiled Linseed Oil, and use Renaissance Polish.

I came across this stuff and a little
reluctant on any hard gloss polish. Any opinions out here?? “Pro Custom Oil Gun Stock Finish”. Thanks
Certainly nothing wrong with most gun finishes. Just depends on the look and feel you want. For ultimate waterproofing you want a sealed and water repellant finish. But... that doesn't always look "correct" to the HC crowd, and Certainly isn't always as pretty as the extraordinary finishes of many builders. That stuff is probably as good as BC Tru-oil, which to be fair is a modern finish.

Certainly nothing wrong with most gun finishes. Just depends on the look and feel you want. For ultimate waterproofing you want a sealed and water repellant finish. But... that doesn't always look "correct" to the HC crowd, and Certainly isn't always as pretty as the extraordinary finishes of many builders. That stuff is probably as good as BC Tru-oil, which to be fair is a modern finish.

When I worked for Serengeti Rifles, I did extensive testing for a finish that would be waterproof and durable. Our dangerous game rifles spent a lot of time in Africa, Alaska, and South East Asia, under the worst of conditions. Everything failed, including that Gawd Awful Weatherby finish. We finally settled on Hunter's Shack from Brownell's, but when a customer would hunt a rain season in Alaska or Asia, the guns would come back for refinish, with not a trace of the original finish left on them. I suspect the only successful water proof finish would be a two part epoxy, and I wouldn't even want to lay money on that one.

It’s tung oil with a polyurethane drier. I think that’s what the birch wood casy produce tru oil is.
I like linseed, and liked the Waukegan bay products, now I use the original oil finish from track of the wolf. Pine and linseed oil followed by wax
I would bet that product will give you a fine finish

I use pure tung oil.It takes several days for the first coat to sink in and dry but after that a light touch up with a 50/50 mix with paint thinner will touch up any scratches

Back