• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinel No. 7, the perfect knife for a possibles bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darto...............Next to an original flea mkt. find , those Opinels are super good. A friend of mine , Davy , RIP , that worked at Colonial Williamsburg gun shop , gave me one of these they made there as a souvenir. Blade is made from an old hand saw. My hunting buddy of 50 + years has an original Opinel with 14 notches in the handle , one for each deer he killed , over a 10 year period ,back in the 1980's. Good day sir.....oldwood:thumb:

What will one of these do that a Buck, Case, Schrade, Barlow, or even a Swiss Army pocket knife won't do?

I was interested in the knives, and I clicked on the site in the OP.
Now I'm getting ads for them on my phone!
Isn't technology freaking wonderful?
Has anyone else had this occur?
In our house all we have to do is TALK about a product or something and we start getting ads for the things....spooky.

I have carried one for over 40+ yrs. / for reenacting, at VOUS, trail walks , for F&I, and REV WAR, and had no problem getting JURIED with it. jmho.

If you guys keep posting cool things like this my wife is gonna ban me from coming here. “What’s in the box this time, another forum trinket”???
they look like sturdy knives and they fold, come on man!

When I go to the site the description says carbon steel but when you go to the chart and "click" on a knife it comes up stainless with a different hardness. Which one is it? This is the #6.

W
When I go to the site the description says carbon steel but when you go to the chart and "click" on a knife it comes up stainless with a different hardness. Which one is it? This is the #6.

When I followed the 2 links posted earlier they were both stainless. A lot of Opinel offerings are available as either carbon or stainless. After looking at the Opinel site I believe the #6 and #8 knives do not have walnut handles but are merely stained beech. I reworked the handle on the smallest one to a more 18th. century configuration and stained it dark. I may have modified the blade too but I lost the knife and can't remember, anyway it came out nice. BTW their
Ebauche handle knives are left oversize so you can shape them to your taste.

https://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/all-folding-knives

Last edited:
A fixed blade, Robust and Holding a edge is my need.
Perhaps not traditional- yet neither is one of my Favorite rifles
8384958B-2AC1-46B0-B98B-7170B2357AAC.jpeg

What will one of these do that a Buck, Case, Schrade, Barlow, or even a Swiss Army pocket knife won't do?
Simplicity is a good thing.

The thin blades sharpen to scary sharp easily and slice very well given their razor edge and thinness.

They seem to give a good impression of coming close to being a knife one might have found used in the late muzzleloading era.

They are very inexpensive for something that works so very well.

Granted, I personally always prefer a fixed blade. Regardless of what size knife or what blade geometry I need for the task at hand.

Will they all cut stuff? Yes.

Once again- not traditional, Yet extremely handy to have. I like the stainless Swiss Army knife (Sak)

Attachments

• 8E4D2E34-01CA-4FA4-96FC-FE5473D37CFB.png
    8E4D2E34-01CA-4FA4-96FC-FE5473D37CFB.png
    333.7 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back