• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oops! no trigger finger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Accidentally sliced the tip of my trigger finger a couple of weeks ago. Well on the way to mended, all stitched back together and still pink, but I faced my monthly ML clayshoot all bandaged up.

My auxilliary trigger finger performed well until we got to the fast, left to right, crossing bird.

With my grip shifted forwards I lost control of the gun somewhat, couldn't get a smooth swing, blew a near perfect score.

The moral has to be, look after your trigger finger, avoid getting sucked in to the machinery like me :shocked2: :thumbsup:

I had a simular experience about six years ago. It is no fun and the recoil just makes it worse. :hmm:

I am still healing up with and doing physical therapy from when I cut a tendon in my pinky my non dominant hand lucky you did not get the tendon.

You could swap stories with my long time friend. He lost his trigger finger completely in an industrial accident, without so much as a stub remaining.

He's adjusted well to using the next finger, but with one exception: Gloves. The empty finger sticks straight up into his line of sight when he shoulders a gun. If he remembers beforehand he hacks it off and sews up the hole. If he gets in the field without doing it beforehand, he just hacks off the finger and leaves the hole for later.

Gotta be carefil Squire.

Our Range Officer pulled a bonehead move once. Was showing some people how to shoot muzzleloaders and took a gun out of the case, placed a cap on the nipple and then told the people there to make sure the channel is clear you can place the muzzle near some dirt or put your finger over the bore and feel the cap pressure. :shocked2: I'm sure you guessed by now the gun was loaded and forgotten about....well he lost his trigger finger along with his pride much to the horror of everyone there.

buttonbuck said:
I cut a tendon in my pinky my non dominant hand lucky you did not get the tendon.

Ouch :shocked2:

I missed tendons, clipped the end off the bone but luckily nothing got infected. Cutting through the nerve is a good idea when you saw sideways through a finger nail, it doesn't hurt at all :thumbsup:

I did try slipping the bandage off for one shot with my mangled digit on the trigger and quickly decided it was a really bad idea :nono:

xray.jpg

I wish you a speedy recoverary. I ran my thumb through my table saw last year. Not on my trigger hand. took a little while to heal but I still have my trigger finger, thank the Good Lord and half of my left thumb. just becareful and not bump it. it really hurts. Don't ask how I know this..

wow robin not to be overly cheery about the injury but you missed that tendon by 1 or 2 centimeters at best you got lucky.

My friend's brother lost his trigger finger, down to the knuckle, when he was a kid by getting it caught in the cogs of a Hills Hoist (used for drying laundry in Australia). He shot just fine using his middle finger
Just over a year ago I ran a drill bit into my LH thumb, alongside the knuckle. Had some nerve damage, so it's still a bit numb feeling, but I eventually got full dexterity back.

I got my trigger finger caught in the back blade of my tractor while swiveling the angle a couple winters ago, I didn't feel it because it was negative 30 but I heard it go crunch. It looked pretty close to the location yours was cut. To make matters worste I'm a federal officer and the firearms instructor for my station. So I was pretty worried but my doctor told me fingers are very resiliant and sure enough he was right I got all my feeling back and learned a valuable lesson about where not to place my hand when working on my tractor.

arquebus said:
Just over a year ago I ran a drill bit into my LH thumb, alongside the knuckle. Had some nerve damage, so it's still a bit numb feeling, but I eventually got full dexterity back.

Nice to know I'm not the only one :grin:

I remember reading a medical text somewhere in my dim and distant past. The researcher deliberately severed a nerve in one of his less useful fingers and then kept a diary of how the feeling returned. As there are no muscles in a finger he was quite safe, you'd have to cut somewhere in the forearm to paralyse it.

Full feeling will come back, you just have to live long enough :thumbsup:

I ground the end of my trigger finger off in a motorcycle wreck a while back. They more or less put it back together although it's a bit shorter than the others.

I haven't shot for score since then, but my impression is that the loss of feeling has actually made my pull somewhat better.

No squire your not the only one, not me but a local High School shop teacher cut off his trigger finger (all of it) and a short time later,
explaining how it happened, he cut off the middle one. hard to get a ring finger up to the trigger.
You were lucky.
Deadeye

At the same clay shoot was "Stumpy" Roberts who had a priming flask go off in his hand at the Australian Nationals. I couldn't get my fancy caplock on the crosser with one sore finger, but he was happily popping them with a flint. Swine :rotf:

Back