• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Only one muzzle loading rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to keep my Kibler Colonial 58 smoothbore. It's pretty, it's reliable, and shoots well with shot or ball. Has a wonderful lock that will outlast me. In the meantime it can handle almost any hunting or shooting endeavor.
But......I'm not getting rid of the others. Too many good memories in each one.

Issac Haines style probably in 45. Not overly long, great ergonomics and very comfortable to shoot off hand or rested. I’ve owned a bunch of different styles and nothing compares IMHO.

My my my , lots of folks likes this n that, great isn't it. Myself i am taking one each ! Really for a one percussion i will keep my .40 cal Under-Hammer. My one Flintlock would be a Woodsrunner in .45.

I'm sure this has been done to death but here we go anyway.

If you could have only one muzzle loading rifle what would it be?

Include maker, percusion or flintlock, why that rifle and things like that. Smooth bore is ok but this is more about rifles.
Well ....if a smoothbore is out of the question .... A .50 flintlock with a barrel , swamped tapered , 38-40" long . I'd make it ....nothing fancy ....perhaps transition style

As has been noted in another thread on the Thumpers I built:

23" long, 15/16" barrel, 54 cal, 1:32 twist bored and cut by Bobby Hoyt with a TOW SS Musket nipple mounted in a White Mountain Carbine Stock that I have reinforced with Williams Ghost ring firesight rear and firesight front shooting 485 grain No Excuses bullet with 110 gr of Triple 7 FFFg with an RMC Ox-Yoke 58 cal over powder wad.

How's that for specificity.

20230728_194130.jpg

I'm sure this has been done to death but here we go anyway.

If you could have only one muzzle loading rifle what would it be?

Include maker, percusion or flintlock, why that rifle and things like that. Smooth bore is ok but this is more about rifles.
So is the house on fire as you have to make this decision? Or are you being chased by the bad guys and have the chance to grab only one gun? How old will you be at the time, 16 or 76 (that nasty experience thing)? Is it a rifle to shoot, or is it one chosen because of historical or sentimental value?

CVA Blazer.

Just kidding. Of the guns I have it would be my TC Cherokee with Douglas .40 barrel. The deer around here are mostly small and the squirrels are huge. The rifle is very accurate, easy on powder and lead, and light weight. Ask me tomorrow and it will be a different one.

On this site, it would be my laminate stock T/C Hawken .50 percussion. Autumn is a spooky accurate rifle..
But so are both of my .50 Renegade flintlocks...

See what you did OP?

Nobody needs a conical bullet to kill deer and elk. You just don’t. Ever.

Five.
Four.
Three.
Two…
Okay, I’ll play. It would be my Thompson Center Hawken .50 caliber.

Why? Because I just like it. I enjoy my flintlock guns too, but this brings out the Jeremiah Johnson in me.😁

It’s also the one that I shoot the most.
View attachment 239842

I once stripped a .50 TC to make it more realistic.
Okay, I’ll play. It would be my Thompson Center Hawken .50 caliber.

Why? Because I just like it. I enjoy my flintlock guns too, but this brings out the Jeremiah Johnson in me.😁

It’s also the one that I shoot the most.
View attachment 239842
I once had a .50 TC like that and decided I wanted to make it more authentic. I mean more like a Hawken. Stripped it and refinished it. Draw filed the barrel and browned it. Changed the sights to non adjustable like originals. Didn't think to shoulder it during the process. When done, I learned that without that tall adjustable monstrosity of a rear sight it came with, I could no longer get my head low enough to align the new sights, because the TC stock is way too straight, like a modern rifle. Also the ramrod entry is squared off, not contoured like a Hawken, plus the barrel is too small across the flats which makes the gun unrealistically light.
All that said, we all know the TC Hawken is the most popular and quality built production gun we can buy. I wish I had another one and enough sense to leave it alone. As is, they are a joy to carry and hunt with. I mean after all, they are a one-shot, front stuffing muzzleloader, terribly accurate and now highly prized by hunters and collectors.

If the house was burning there are four I can’t live without…

(Pics added)

My two smoothbores, both .62’s. The short Chiefs gun and the slightly longer Pa smooth rifle.

IMG_2523.jpeg

Rifled guns are harder. But my .62 full stocked Hawken (style) is just my favorite…and I have nicer guns…but she just whispers to me with her tapered barrel forked tongue…

IMG_2526.jpeg

The other is newer to the collection but gaining on the top guns. An original Illinois style gun built with a first production run 1803 Harper’s Ferry barrel and an 1814 dated lock. Still in .54

Last edited:

My two smoothbores, both .62’s. The short Chiefs gun and the slightly longer Pa smooth rifle.

Rifled guns are harder. But my .62 full stocked Hawken (style) is just my favorite…and I have nicer guns…but she just whispers to me with her tapered barrel forked tongue…

The other is newer to the collection but gaining on the top guns. An original Illinois style gun built with a first production run 1803 Harper’s Ferry barrel and an 1814 dated lock. Still in .54
Would love to see that short chief's gun. 😁

Traditions Kentucky. (Lol just kidding; just said that to tweak the Pharisees 😂)

I'd like to try out a percussion Woodsrunner before I make my mind up on what constitutes the perfect ml for me. Until then I say the .54 flint Woodsrunner.

Last edited:

(Pics added)

That top fuzee rocks.

How much does the Hawken weigh if I may ask?

Latest posts

Back