• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Only one muzzle loading rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been done to death but here we go anyway.

If you could have only one muzzle loading rifle what would it be?

Include maker, percusion or flintlock, why that rifle and things like that. Smooth bore is ok but this is more about rifles.

Flint, bore 62-75 cal, Early American style because that's what I like, if I stumbled on a pile of money I'd have Allen Martin make it, but I didn't so I will make it myself until I get it right, only one doesn't mean I can't have 5 this year one at a time......

Being a hunter first and foremost, I submit that it is absolutely impossible to have only one ML.

Small game............A .32 something or other. As long as the barrel does not exceed 32" in length. Most likely a Hawken style.

Deer and elk............A .54 Hawken style with a fast twist for a heavy conical.

Only one of the endless possibilities? If I may stretch the rules of your post a bit.......my .63 smoothbore Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket. Why that one? 'Cause it always goes bang. Nothing has ever broke. Easy to maintain. Can shoot shot, buck/ball, or ball. May not have long range accuracy, but I won't go hungry as long as I have some sort of black powder and some sort of a sharp rock and some sort of a projectile to shove down the bore.

Well sir, you didn't say how many barrels! 🤣

So, I shoot a lot of matches but in the end, I'm a hunter so I choose my 1974 vintage TC Hawken with four barrels. 45, 50, 54 and 56 smooth. Totally pedestrian and common but that combination would do everything for me. I have that full set now except the 56 smoothie.

Guess I'll sell everything else....NOT! 🤷 😀

Well sir, you didn't say how many barrels! 🤣

So, I shoot a lot of matches but in the end, I'm a hunter so I choose my 1974 vintage TC Hawken with four barrels. 45, 50, 54 and 56 smooth. Totally pedestrian and common but that combination would do everything for me. I have that full set now except the 56 smoothie.

Guess I'll sell everything else....NOT! 🤷 😀
Now that is the way to do it!

But, getting respectfully back to the OP's question 🤔

It would be my original TC with it's original barrel now rebored by Hoyt to a 54. Not a great choice for match shooting, but suitable for all my hunting.

There won't be a sell off though. I seven have deserving grandchildren, so......

Okay, I’ll play. It would be my Thompson Center Hawken .50 caliber.

Why? Because I just like it. I enjoy my flintlock guns too, but this brings out the Jeremiah Johnson in me.😁

It’s also the one that I shoot the most.
563F4CBD-2231-4A92-9808-75FD0AA57BE2.jpeg

Ok I’ll bit. I have several ML,s but the most practical if it were my only choice is my dbl flintlock custom made side by side in 49 cal rifle and 16 ga smoothbore. Best of both worlds. But otherwise the 20ga trade gun can do everything.

Lefty flinter 40 cal. I bought the parts and a maker put em together. Never have to worry about losing it as righties do not ever want to shoot it. Safe everywhere I take it. Righties think it was a devil's creation.

I would make it. It would be perfect in every aspect.:dunno:
Me too. The one I'm working on one will always be the perfect gun.
Then, eventually, I'll be fondling it and find something I wish I have done a little deferently. In other words, I'm still hoping to build the truly perfect one.

Latest posts

Back