• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Filled my buck tag today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniata

40 Cal
Reaction score
I was invited to do some drives with a group tomorrow that has a high likelihood of shooting a buck.
As bad as I wanted to go, I have another thing I should be doing and it would make the Mrs. happy if I didn't go.

Last night it snowed about 4 inches.
I work 4-noon, so today when I got home I told my wife I'm going to slip hunt my way out the ridge, I know there's some does bedding up there and I've only hunted it once so far here in the late season.
So up I went and didn't take long to find beds that were from early this morning, judging by how much snow was in them. I then followed tracks and started to slow down, looking ahead.
As I looked above me I noticed what maybe was a deer ear behind a small tree. I then slowly got myself a few yards closer and rose up to see a for sure deer head as I saw the head turn. Ok, game on I thought.
I got low and crawled to a spot that gave me a little cover and came up again. This time I came to full cock, as the 3 deer milled around about 50 yards.
It was windy and they had no clue I was in the world. The one big doe turned and came my way a little bit.
I settled my sight on her shoulder and squeezed.
I had instant blood on impact and had to follow her for about 100 yards, each of her bounds showing a fair amount of blood loss ontop the fresh snow.
I then came upon her laying there almost expired, yet had to promptly put another ball through her neck at 30 yards.

Honestly I'm dang happy to put my buck tag on her, meat is meat.
I have 2 more doe tags but now that I used my buck tag, I plan to quit ( we only have 1 week left).
That makes 5 this season for my .45 rifle. What an awesome experience and I can honestly say the only reason I had success is because I shot all year long, all the time. It made the difference!
Good luck to all my fellow PA guys this upcoming week.

Specs:
45 yard shot
Juniata County, PA
.440 ball
.020" pillow ticking lubed with bear grease/beeswax
65 grains FFF GOEX

Rifle specs:
.45 cal Issac Haines
38" B weight Rice barrel
Large Siler lock
PXL_20220107_202349890.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220107_202141555~3.jpg
PXL_20220107_210757473.jpg

Fantastic!! My girlfriend is from Pennsylvania and I am really hoping we can go to visit her family during the flintlock season later this year. I didn’t hunt this season because my freezers are still pretty full from getting a buffalo and a big bodied mule deer last year. I am putting in for moose today though so I had better get to pigging out on that buffalo!! Good job brother!!👍

Fantastic!! My girlfriend is from Pennsylvania and I am really hoping we can go to visit her family during the flintlock season later this year. I didn’t hunt this season because my freezers are still pretty full from getting a buffalo and a big bodied mule deer last year. I am putting in for moose today though so I had better get to pigging out on that buffalo!! Good job brother!!👍
Sounds like you better eat that buffalo, moose may require a new freezer!! And thanks

Congrats on a good season.

On an aside, do you still have your pedersoli frontier and what do/did you think of it? I'm in two minds about a frontier or paying double for a chambers kit.

Congrats on a good season.

On an aside, do you still have your pedersoli frontier and what do/did you think of it? I'm in two minds about a frontier or paying double for a chambers kit.
I had a Frontier and it banged my cheek so bad I got rid of it.

Back