• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Simon Girty Long Rifles of WNY

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Once upon a time, the SIMON GIRTY LONG RIFLES were a group of 25+ strong in WNY. We originated from BAR and NSSA members in 1978. Today, however, our numbers have declined due mainly to getting OLD. But, never the less, we gather 6 times per year for social and shooting fun.
Recently we held our November “Turkey” shoot, with a twist of old. Instead of awarding Turkeys, hams, etc for prizes, we went back to the “blanket” prize idea.
The shooting took place at my place which consists of mature maple and beech woods. The theme was hunting and the targets reflected this concept.
We started out with “tweety” birds at 20 yds. Tiny little buggers but more were hit than not.
DzOAFsK+SfeKCZ+AhZpWrA.jpg

From there we shot full sized deer targets, rabbits, squirrels (tails don’t count) and crows.
fullsizeoutput_35b1.jpeg

kDcAa2vUSmunnWJBF1RZ8Q.jpg

tmJ9u21jQGKFqr3unf8XMA.jpg

The crows sat on a branch. When hit, they fell (flew) off the branch, wings unfolded and was then the target for the next shooters as a “flying” crow.
H82m343PRwi4NKOSzOLpUQ.jpg

Another deer, wolves, turkeys, and finally mallard ducks.
+s+axYA5TgqzCSWYyjcavw.jpg

I came in second, missing 1st due to the Turkey, by one point. I felt happy as I shot my new Woodsrunner, sighting it in the day before the shoot.
fullsizeoutput_35b0.jpeg

All in all, another great time.

Once upon a time, the SIMON GIRTY LONG RIFLES were a group of 25+ strong in WNY. We originated from BAR and NSSA members in 1978. Today, however, our numbers have declined due mainly to getting OLD. But, never the less, we gather 6 times per year for social and shooting fun.
Recently we held our November “Turkey” shoot, with a twist of old. Instead of awarding Turkeys, hams, etc for prizes, we went back to the “blanket” prize idea.
The shooting took place at my place which consists of mature maple and beech woods. The theme was hunting and the targets reflected this concept.
We started out with “tweety” birds at 20 yds. Tiny little buggers but more were hit than not.
View attachment 267872

From there we shot full sized deer targets, rabbits, squirrels (tails don’t count) and crows.
View attachment 267873
View attachment 267874
View attachment 267875

The crows sat on a branch. When hit, they fell (flew) off the branch, wings unfolded and was then the target for the next shooters as a “flying” crow.
View attachment 267877

Another deer, wolves, turkeys, and finally mallard ducks.
View attachment 267878

I came in second, missing 1st due to the Turkey, by one point. I felt happy as I shot my new Woodsrunner, sighting it in the day before the shoot.
View attachment 267879

All in all, another great time.
My grandfather was a member of SIMON GIRTY LONGRIFLES when he was alive and, due to his influence, I have had the itch to get into flintlock shooting and hunting for some time now. I finally find myself in the position to make some progress towards making that happen. I’d be interested to know if you knew or shot with grandpa.

Are you “3-HANDS” grandchild? That was his Girty name. (I bet his baptismal name was Art). He was a dear friend for many years. A big man in stature and heart. We think of him often. We shot, camped, drank, laughed and cried as brothers and sisters. That is who the Girtys are.

Are you “3-HANDS” grandchild? That was his Girty name. (I bet his baptismal name was Art). He was a dear friend for many years. A big man in stature and heart. We think of him often. We shot, camped, drank, laughed and cried as brothers and sisters. That is who the Girtys are.
I sure am! And this is still hanging at grandmas house! I’d love to touch base and hear some stories and maybe continue the tradition!

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpeg
    IMG_0152.jpeg
    933.7 KB · Views: 0
His TN mountain rifle is still hanging over the fireplace as well

Latest posts

Back