• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old powderhorn...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulN/KS

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Got looking at a horn that recently came into my possesion and I believe it is an actual antique powderhorn. It's a lobed horn with one side broken off and a crack at the plug. I got to looking at it close this weekend and I saw that the base plug has that old look you see on the underside of old furniture plus the plug pins are dried and smaller than the holes. The pins look like small thorns.
Now, I had planned on just repairing this horn but maybe it is better off being left alone...? :hmm:

Any comments Gents?

Unless you have a provenance( written History) for the horn, or can date it exactly, or know the original maker, it has "Limited" collector value.

I learned this about 20 years ago when I was given an old powder horn by a friend who owns an antique store, and found a damaged horn that is old. I consulted everyone, and finally paid Bruce Horne to repair it. He replaced a broken mouth, and then also replaced the old plug. The "Seam" where a new piece of horn is glued to the body of the older horn is hidden in the groove for the leather strap. The horn had amateur scrimshaw work on it, and some letters near the plug disappear off the end of the horn, suggesting that the horn was modified, and shortened sometime earlier in its almost 200 year history.

But, there is NOTHING about my horn to tell the date, nor the owner of the original horn. Its only "collectors value" relates to the original scrimshaw work. Bruce believes the horn dates back to the early 19th century, based on the style of the letters, and figures, as well as the age of the horn material itself.

I am using the horn with my new Fowler. I holds about 1/3-1/2 lb. of powder, just the right amount for hunting birds, except, perhaps, Dove!, and rabbits.

Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul. :hatsoff:

So since it is just an old plain horn,( or so it appears), fixing it so I can use it won't be a big deal... :hmm:

PaulN,
Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! If you could post one, we all might be able to give you a better answer!.....Sounds like you have a neat old common horn, but can't tell from here.

Thanks,
Rick

Back