• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old DuPont can

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we have clearly shown, these are not Roman Numerals. Please observe post #12.
This seems to show that these are not Roman Numerals but a poorly thought out stylized font. We often see logos, maker's marks, and such utilizing a connection of similar letters even today. In the case of indicating powder granulation this would seem to have been a bad idea. And appears to have been abandoned.
We have seen other pictures from the same approximate time period that do have a more clear indication of powder granulation, i.e. ffg or fffg and they all say "Superfine" on them.

Several posters have hit this correctly, as FFFg. Here's an image & description from the Hagley Museum ( If you are interested in duPont powder cans and other old stuff & technology, their collection is unsurpassed!)

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 11.58.32 AM.png

I think we have clearly shown, these are not Roman Numerals. Please observe post #12.
This seems to show that these are not Roman Numerals but a poorly thought out stylized font. We often see logos, maker's marks, and such utilizing a connection of similar letters even today. In the case of indicating powder granulation this would seem to have been a bad idea. And appears to have been abandoned.
We have seen other pictures from the same approximate time period that do have a more clear indication of powder granulation, i.e. ffg or fffg and they all say "Superfine" on them.

I believe you are spot on. I initially thought they were Roman, as my previous post indicates, but I now see what you're talking about (i.e., confusingly stylized Fs). No wonder they later changed the labeling. Folks back then were likely as confused by their font as we are. 😄

We bought powder in these cans in the 1950's. - early 60's. Still have two *one marked "$1.60". That might seem old so some but I well remember when that's what DuPont 1-pound cans came in. Used to have a small box of empties, gave 'em all away. They're not THAT old.

All bought at Graf & Sons in Mexico, Missouri when they were a gas station with a rack of guns.

Yes, somewhat.
I notice they all seem to say, " Superfine," on them.
View attachment 85511View attachment 85512
But I also notice the letter F is a lot better defined in these slightly later examples.
Not a historian here, but have been studying the history of the development of black powder. It seems that DuPont labeled all their black powder as "superfine," and then indicated on the can the granulation, i.e. Fg, FFg, FFFg,, etc.

Jayhawkdan

Back