• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Okay, this goes against the grain for me but....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I contacted the company (Baronet) and they told me that it is not flammable.
I always spray down my ground blinds preseason with a camp dry spray to weather proof it. I do not know if its has a tendency to make the material more flammable or not but I'm not worried about it. Easy enough to get out of in a hurry if need be, even if it means lifting up one side of it.

With that said, with a flintlock, you might get a bad case of emphysema unless there's a few windows open or unless you promptly vacate.

When I mentioned height, I mean it doesn’t matter if you are five feet off the ground or twenty five feet. If a deer smells you or sees you moving around it doesn’t matter.

I just won’t hunt from an elevated stand. Too many risks (for me, anyway).
That's exactly the point. For ML hunting height is not quite as much of a concern, especially in flatter terrain. However, I have proven that is not the case for in the mountains and thicker terrain where deer has to get closer to you before you can get a shot. Being a well seasoned bow hunter, especially in the mountains, I have absolutely proven this time and time again. I have not been busted by a deer(s) nose since I learned to climb higher. I am not afraid of heights and it has paid off for me. Many times while bow hunting I have looked down between my feet and watched deer as the eat directly under my stand. They never knew I was there. In all actuality, I have killed a few deer by leaning out over the front of my climbers and shooting them darn near straight down. I had do stand on one leg to get it done. Not the best shot placement on a deer unless you hit the spine.

With that said, climbing is becoming a little less desirable as I age.

Last edited:
Whatever works for you.
I began deer hunting in an era when we hand built tree stands by nailing planks between trees, like I did as a kid building a "tree fort". I made them as high as 25 feet and as low as 6 feet - just high enough to see over the brush. They all worked.
I also made plenty of ground blinds simply by piling up logs and brush. I shot one buck from a ground blind that if I had stretched out I could almost have touched the deer with my rifle barrel.
I was aquainted with one fellow who was wheelchair bound. He had fallen out of his climbing stand and broke his back.
As I got older I tended less and less to climb trees, opting more for ground blinds. Now, at 75 I haven't been up in a tree for 10 years or more. I still get deer from ground blinds.
Mountain country or flat land it doesn't matter. I've hunted both from Canada to Arizona. What matters is the breeze.

Whatever works for you.
I began deer hunting in an era when we hand built tree stands by nailing planks between trees, like I did as a kid building a "tree fort". I made them as high as 25 feet and as low as 6 feet - just high enough to see over the brush. They all worked.
I also made plenty of ground blinds simply by piling up logs and brush. I shot one buck from a ground blind that if I had stretched out I could almost have touched the deer with my rifle barrel.
I was aquainted with one fellow who was wheelchair bound. He had fallen out of his climbing stand and broke his back.
As I got older I tended less and less to climb trees, opting more for ground blinds. Now, at 75 I haven't been up in a tree for 10 years or more. I still get deer from ground blinds.
Mountain country or flat land it doesn't matter. I've hunted both from Canada to Arizona. What matters is the breeze.
Indeed, and its those constant changing breezes in the mountains that makes the difference. It is nothing to see the wind change as much as 300* from one minute to the next. Also, they go up slope and down slope, which can really make the difference. I have hunted from climbers where I was way the heck up in the tree on the front side, yet when I looked behind me only a few feet the deer trail was above me.

With that said, I do enjoy my hunting from my ground blind when its raining and/or cold and breezy. I actually put a small heater in there with me for such conditions. Other than that, I dislike hunting from them. I much prefer being able to see a ways and not get busted by deer.

However, I can see in my future that my climbing days are most likely going to become less and less.

Last edited:
Back