• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Okay, this goes against the grain for me but....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep my options open. I have ladders, hang on's, climbers and a couple of pop up blinds. My Ol'man climber is probably my favorite, the net seat and sit and climb is easier on my shot out knees. I hunt mostly game lands in PA where gear has a tendency to walk away when your not around. Ladders are OK but a pain when trying to get them up a mountain or through a swamp. I got a gadget from sportsman's guide some years ago, a wench with pivoting spikes for the feet that one guy can put up a stand by himself. Makes a racket, but works. The pop ups are ok if you get them out early and brush them in some. Helps in light rain and wind.

Used a pop up for awhile, really liked it. More than once it was nice and cozy only to wake up with a start with a deer looking in the window.

Put it up on my father in laws place one year. it worked well. The day was rain/sleet/snow off and on. Had a squirrel run under the flap and stop on my foot. He ran up my leg onto my shoulder then it was a**holes and elbows as both of us tried to get out at the same time. Ended up on the ground with the blind turned upside down. :doh:

Don

Used a pop up for awhile, really liked it. More than once it was nice and cozy only to wake up with a start with a deer looking in the window.

Put it up on my father in laws place one year. it worked well. The day was rain/sleet/snow off and on. Had a squirrel run under the flap and stop on my foot. He ran up my leg onto my shoulder then it was a**holes and elbows as both of us tried to get out at the same time. Ended up on the ground with the blind turned upside down. :doh:

Don
And all video deleted šŸ¤£

I still have my original Baker with hand climber (hoarder?). I had a smaller one called a Mite-E-Mite with no hand climber. I probably left if in the woods several decades ago. I liked them because they were light and folded flat.

Here's me with an early model compound bow and the Baker strapped to my back.

View attachment 248960
Lots to be said about climbers that pack flat. That's one reason why I have a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb. Packs flat, quiet setting it up and darn near silent when climbing the tree.

I have another very popular climber (Summit) that folks brag on and I can tell you with 100% certainty that the only good thing about that dang stand is its comfort. I absolutely hate it other than it is comfortable.

I used to track down deer in the snw and never failed but now with my ankle I have to use a stand.
The secret to not being seen is to wear light colored camo or blaze orange. used to walk into the camo section of our sporting goods store we used to have and it was like a dark cave, not a single thing I would wear. Original Realtree was a POS. Today ASAT and military desert camo is best and I have archery hunted with snow camo from trees with leaves, You should blend with the sky, not the tree.
Indeed. Camo nowadays is to please the eye of the hunter. I love Old School camo but its difficult to find. Some duck hunters still use it and the last I saw, it comes with a big price.

My hunting was mostly done from a ground "stand". I did have a ladder stand that I permanently placed on a farm owned by a dear friend. In my younger days I used a climbing stand sometimes. My preferred height when hunting from a ladder, climbing or other elevated stand is 12'; the max I feel comfortable with is 15 feet. I don't like heights and I've had the same success from the ground up to around 12 feet.

I have what might seem to be a dumb question but here goesā€¦..
This year I will be doing some of my deer hunting from a manufactured ground blind. Iā€™m wondering is there is a concern that my flintlock might set the blind on fire!!??
Seems unlikely, unless it is made of some highly flammable fabric.

I dont have time to drop blinds around where I hunt (and they would be stolen before I got back to town). I have noted a few real cautious animules. Herd of elk came in and the MONSTER MONARCH 8 PT lead the cows in to about 120 yds and stopped. They drank 2-3 at a time and left. Bull KNEW and would not come in. I was just after deer so he twernt so smart and could have safely drank. But HE KNEW. Many deer and turkeys ignore the blind 100%. The lil coues deer (most wary of all I hear) literally RAN into the tank and stopped on the rim and looked at me.
Nice shot placement, Iā€™ll bet he dropped in his tracks.

I have what might seem to be a dumb question but here goesā€¦..
This year I will be doing some of my deer hunting from a manufactured ground blind. Iā€™m wondering is there is a concern that my flintlock might set the blind on fire!!??
I would doubt you there is much risk if setting it on fire (but, I don't know you personally and I've learned that with some people,,,, anything messed up is possible,,,,, so the chance isn't 0%)
I have not used a tent style pop-up blind with a muzzleloader but have wondered about smoking one's self out of the thing at the shot.

I shot my buck last year from an ameristep chair blind with a ML and tho i poked my barrel just outside the blind i still felt like a brisket in a smoker until i flipped the top back to let the smoke cloud outšŸ˜‚ couldnt see anything , luckily deer was dead where he stood

Now at 61 it sure is more comfortable in a groundblind. I still do climb but ALWAYS wear a climbing belt!!! Groundblind hunting has opened my eyes to hunting different terrain than my usual deal. Normally climb in in the morning as I didnā€™groundhunt in the evening! Canā€™t wait for a rainy evening on the edge of a large field ā€œmy favorite ā€œ

Scent control, movement, and location. Never have and never will hunt from an elevated stand. They just give me the creeps and I would be too worried about it collapsing or me falling instead of focusing on deer.

At 63, my tracking days are pretty much behind me. For the past four seasons I have just picked out at least three trees and I sit at the base of one of them based on wind and weather.

With that said, I don't think it is the height as is the things I mentioned. It looks like a nice stand.
I'm more than 60 yoa too, and I agreed with you 30 some odd years ago, but...,
I was teaching hunter safety, and in my state the vaaaast majority of "hunting accidents" were guys involving tree stands. Climbing in, getting out, or falling out. ALL of the state's hunting fatalities were from falling out of the tree stand. Sure, full disclosure, they were all from guys not maintaining a permanent stand, they were wood, rotted, and when the guy leaned on the wrong part..., down he came and done.

At the same time my whacky work schedule would really mess with my sleep cycle, and with very limited opportunity to go after deer, I had to go when I could, after a 24 hr. shift, didn't matter. So I'd caught myself from time to time starting to nod-off, so for me..., hunting from a ground "blind" was the safest way to go. And by "ground blind" I mean I'd find several youngish trees growing close together, to break up my outline, and give me something to lean against. Nothing constructed. \

It's worked so far.

LD

I'm more than 60 yoa too, and I agreed with you 30 some odd years ago, but...,
I was teaching hunter safety, and in my state the vaaaast majority of "hunting accidents" were guys involving tree stands. Climbing in, getting out, or falling out. ALL of the state's hunting fatalities were from falling out of the tree stand. Sure, full disclosure, they were all from guys not maintaining a permanent stand, they were wood, rotted, and when the guy leaned on the wrong part..., down he came and done.

At the same time my whacky work schedule would really mess with my sleep cycle, and with very limited opportunity to go after deer, I had to go when I could, after a 24 hr. shift, didn't matter. So I'd caught myself from time to time starting to nod-off, so for me..., hunting from a ground "blind" was the safest way to go. And by "ground blind" I mean I'd find several youngish trees growing close together, to break up my outline, and give me something to lean against. Nothing constructed. \

It's worked so far.

LD
When I mentioned height, I mean it doesnā€™t matter if you are five feet off the ground or twenty five feet. If a deer smells you or sees you moving around it doesnā€™t matter.

I just wonā€™t hunt from an elevated stand. Too many risks (for me, anyway).

We have 209 acre creek bottom farm, 55 acres cropped, everything else woods or WRP. Unless it's the rut or when does run their male fawns off, same deer come out at the same place, at the same time of day- depending mostly on what they're eating. Over 70 years with the same herd, it ain't rocket science to kill white tail deer.

I keep 6-8 ladder stands in place 365 days a year, none higher than I'm willing to fall out of. Weeks prior to the season, we check every strap, bolt, string, etc. & fix 'em. Then ...leave stands alone. Three hunters is all I allow, and that's opening morning. 3 years back, my 6-year-old granddaughter killed a nice buck as she was eating a twinkie drinking a Capri Sun. Rut.

Every herd's a little different, but in some ways they're alike. If they're not afraid of humans, that's killing, not hunting. Automated feeders, baiting, etc. ...uh...not much to be proud of in my way of thinking. Have Fun. Fair Chase always.

Back