• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Okay, this goes against the grain for me but....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not surprising that you were able to do that but on the other hand, WHY!!! 🤣 :dunno:
It seemed like the proper thing to do at the time!?? Here's a photo of the old girl eyeing the trail that led directly under my stand about the time the urge to let fly struck me.

IMG_3376.jpeg

Last edited:
Last few years I hunted, mostly never got out of the Dismal, a d the surrounding lowlands, used ladder and hanging stands 12-15' off the ground, always took deer, only thing had to watch for was " short neckers" for some reason they love curling up under that first step

In the woods here in Tidewater Virginia, I’ve taken all of my deer from 16-20 foot stands, home built and store bought. I’ve done right much hunting from the ground (how I came up in the Adirondacks) and a climber, and seen plenty of deer in both circumstances, but my luck seems to live up a ladder.
Jay
The problem is Tidewater Va. I lived there for a while. It's hunt club or game lands where there as knucklehead behind every tree. I only bagged one deer during my years there, and that was with my car. Semper Fi.

I used to track down deer in the snw and never failed but now with my ankle I have to use a stand.
The secret to not being seen is to wear light colored camo or blaze orange. used to walk into the camo section of our sporting goods store we used to have and it was like a dark cave, not a single thing I would wear. Original Realtree was a POS. Today ASAT and military desert camo is best and I have archery hunted with snow camo from trees with leaves, You should blend with the sky, not the tree.

The only stand I have ever used is a knockoff of a Baker I got in 1981. I neglected to get the hand climber so I had to hug the tree to climb. That was an experience. When set if you shifted a little it would still tilt to one side or the other, so I started setting it a few feet up the tree, climbing in, and staying there. I probably haven't used it since the 90's. It is still hanging in my garage. For years now when I get a chance to hunt I just sit on the ground leaning back on a tree.

The only stand I have ever used is a knockoff of a Baker I got in 1981. I neglected to get the hand climber so I had to hug the tree to climb. That was an experience. When set if you shifted a little it would still tilt to one side or the other, so I started setting it a few feet up the tree, climbing in, and staying there. I probably haven't used it since the 90's. It is still hanging in my garage. For years now when I get a chance to hunt I just sit on the ground leaning back on a tree.
Yep, my first Baker style tree stand was home made. At my bosses recommendation I studied his Baker Stand and took measurements from it, so I used his as a guide.

I didn't even know what a hand climber or safety harness was. I welded the stand up out of heavy angle iron and the platform was made out of 3/4" plywood. It was not foldable. I asked a young and wild country boy that I worked with if he happen know where I could find any old seatbelts. He said, "go out and get the ones out of the back seat of my car, I don't use them anyway". So with my old trusty pocket knife in hand I went out in the parking lot of the sawmill were we worked and cut the seatbelts out of the back seat of his old car and used those for foot straps.

When completed I would reckon that stand didn't weigh much over 50-60 pounds. But I was young and dumb, ran a sawmill and was strong as a mule. So I simply bear hugged the trees and up I would go proud as could be. I made a small stool to sit on out of wood and would hoist it up with a cord.

Well, one day after work I arrived at a tree I wanted to hunt out of. It was an white oak or burr oak. Tied my bow to the pull up rope, tied my little wooden stool the the other cord, and up I went like a squirrel. Got up to my preferred height of about 28 feet and just when I let go of the tree to turn around, that stand cut lose and down I went like a rocket in reverse. All I could think about was my bow leaning against the tree at the bottom so I hugged that tree for all I had. I managed to stop about 4 feet or so from the ground. That world class magic stunt had taken several layers of skin off every finger on both hands and my chest looked like a bad case of motorcycle crash road rash. I was bleeding like a stuck hog.

The next morning when I showed up to work the boss man asked me why every finger on both hands was all bandaged up. So I proceeded to tell him my story. He asked me if I had sharpened the comping bars on my stand sharp enough? After a few seconds I gave him that deer in headlights looks and replied "what do you mean". No one told me that the chopping bars were supposed to be sharpened and I had overlooked that step when examining his stand as a pattern. A large chunk of oak bark got between at least one chopping bar and zip, down I went. Never fathomed anything, man nor beast, could descend a tree so fast. Needless to say, the next day I got a grinder out and proceeded to sharpen both chomping bars on that self made, high quality Baker style tree stand. One thing was for certain however, I did a good job on the camo paint. So it looked good anyway. :)

The next year I was in a sporting goods store and saw this strange looking device. As I stood there studying it, it finally dawned on me. Ah ha, it was one of those new fancy hand climbers I had heard about but never seen. Now I was really styling. No more bear hugging trees. I was now way too smart and experienced for such foolishness.

Still took me a couple more years to get one of those other things that I had caught word of.................a safety harness.

Last edited:
Put up my 16' ladder stand in a well trafficked area of our place. On a nice strong oak tree. Cleared lanes around it the summer before hunting season, I was ready to go until a week before.

Did something to my knee and could hardly walk. Definitely unable to get to the stand let alone climb it. Opening day stayed in the camping trailer on the farm and started up the hill, got maybe 50 yards and had to quit. So I sat under a Sycamore tree that had some bushes at the base. Within 20 minutes killed the best doe we have ever eaten.

I have killed a deer every year since then from under that tree. It looks over 2 intersecting trails and another farther up the hill.Never did use the stand and took it down. Going to give it another try in a year or so.

Don

Put up my 16' ladder stand in a well trafficked area of our place. On a nice strong oak tree. Cleared lanes around it the summer before hunting season, I was ready to go until a week before.

Did something to my knee and could hardly walk. Definitely unable to get to the stand let alone climb it. Opening day stayed in the camping trailer on the farm and started up the hill, got maybe 50 yards and had to quit. So I sat under a Sycamore tree that had some bushes at the base. Within 20 minutes killed the best doe we have ever eaten.

I have killed a deer every year since then from under that tree. It looks over 2 intersecting trails and another farther up the hill.Never did use the stand and took it down. Going to give it another try in a year or so.

Don
Its good that you listened to your body. Good on you for doing so.

I have killed many of big game critters from the ground, but my success rate is much, much higher when in a stand. Being a bowhunter for many years, it pays off big time to be in an elevated position, especially in the thick mountains.

Different terrain calls for different measures. All the years I lived out west I was on the go. Killed many elk and deer. The only time I used a stand was while hunting bears over bait.

Here in this location in KY, its a stand for this ole boy. I have killed over 55 deer with arrows since I moved here and most all of those were within 15 yards of me. Some darn near directly under me to where I had to lean out over the platform to get a shot. Only two of the 55 plus were killed from the ground.

I like to be as comfortable as possible, within reason, while deer hunting here. I cannot for the life of me remain comfortable when sitting on the ground. Not to mention the field of view is much more restricted on the ground.

With that said, I do sit in a ground blind if, for whatever reason, it is not practical to hunt from a stand. A ground blind is a wonderful way to get in more hunts during bad and/or rainy weather. It also helps contain scent.

IMO the ideal setup would be an elevated stand with a camo ground blind type enclosure for those more permanent locations. Out of the elements, good visibility and still have scent containment.

I plan on spending as much time as possible in a stand during the upcoming muzzleloader hunts. Worked very hard all day yesterday (in the rain) trying to carve out access and shooting lanes around what I call "no mans land thicket". Still only about half done. Must find and clear out a spot where I can hang a stand up hill on a tree and be able to see down into there to shoot. It is imperative that the critter fall on the spot for if it runs into that awful briar thicket, it will be a very bad day.

Last edited:
Oh, Yea I was about 20 years old and just purchased one of the first Baker climber stands and drove to my dad's house to show him how well it worked. He had a Pole lamp beside the barn mounted on a Telephone pole that needed a bulb replaced. I shimmied up that pole replaced bulb and me and the stand did the old slide down the pole till about 5 feet from the ground in which the stand stopped. Of course, out of reflex when stand slipped I gripped the pole with a short sleeve tee shirt on pulled creosote splinters out of both forearms for several weeks. Great memories. What is a safety belt harness ???

I have hunted with a climber, always push your safety rope up the tree ahead of you, you'll be glad when it slips and notice I didn't say if it slips. I have hunted from ladder stands too, putting them up can be really sketchy but once it's up run a safety rope and clip on with a prussic on your harness getting in and out. These two things make getting up/in and down/out safe enough to be a non issue. I have hunted from ground blinds too, the convenience is superb. Box blinds are the best of all worlds really with the height, cover and comfort.

The only downside to elevated hunting is the shot angle is a LOT less ideal than being on the ground or close to the ground and the closer the animal the worse it gets. The higher you get the worse it gets also. You can take a deer with say an 8" certain kill zone with both lungs and turn it into a 1" high by a couple inches wide spot you have to hit to get both lungs. Get up high and you can not get both lungs no matter what if the deer is fairly close. Heart shots will never get the offside lung if you're really high or the animal close or both. Right under the tree or stand is probably the hardest bow shot there is. If I am up off the ground much I like to be at least 20 yards out and closer to 30 with a bow, or around 60 yards with a compound bow or a muzzleloader. The shot angle gets a lot better and being further out let's you get away with more movement for sure.

16 feet should be fine if you stay pretty still. Also, keep a turkey mouth call handy and learn to make really soft clicks and purrs,,, not spring mating yelps and such. If you think you've been spotted give a fee soft clicks and purrs. I even know someone who puts a couple hen decoys on some lower branches nearby. We know turkeys aren't sticking around where we are, and the deer count in it too.

With the comfort of a ladder stand your biggest challenge might be staying awake, 😆. Make sure you've got a good harness and tie it off high.
I use turkey confidence calls routinely and lots of times call in hens then the deer follow.

I don't do it anymore. Height is definitely an advantage though. I'm getting weird with age: I've come to think tree stands are cheating. I sure don't mean to push that mindset at anyone else, no sir. Last bow season I was hunting in SC on the ground. There baiting is legal, another method I don't like. Anyway, a buck came along and was checking out a place where someone had put corn days before. It was all gone but it was obvious that's what he was looking for. I had the wind. Broadside at 12 yards. Came to full draw. Picked a spot. His head was down in the leaves. I couldn't do it. I had practiced all year with my longbow and wooden arrows I had made. I have since worried about myself in that regard. But I will be back there this fall with my flintlock if for no other reason than just to be in the woods.
Don't feel bad for not taking that shot. I was once hunting with a group of 8 people. I was standing behind a big tree, on the edge of the woods. A doe walked right up to me. She was probably about 20 feet away from me. I aimed my shotgun (it was when Ohio only allowed shotguns) and was about to squeeze the trigger. The doe saw me and lowered her head, as if she knew what was coming. Then her fawn appeared beside her. I could not shoot a doe that was still nursing a fawn. My other 7 buddies teased me for that decision. That was about 45 years ago, and I still have no regrets.

In the woods here in Tidewater Virginia, I’ve taken all of my deer from 16-20 foot stands, home built and store bought. I’ve done right much hunting from the ground (how I came up in the Adirondacks) and a climber, and seen plenty of deer in both circumstances, but my luck seems to live up a ladder.
Jay
Them things in The Great Dismal Swamp ain‘t deer Jay, they’re dogs. I killed a buck and in the picture I’m holding him up by the hind legs with one arm like a rabbit (could only hold it fo the pic though, on real film!). Lots of hunters on the public land in Suffolk.

I split my time between stands and ground hides but have to say prefer the intensity of meeting animals face to face on the ground😂
View attachment 248884
Cool video. That doesn't happen very often.

True story here.

One day I slipped around the back of a small field and was waiting in the tree line for a groundhog to come out. I knew what times he was usually out and about. As I sat there up against a tree, the undergrowth came up about a foot high, maybe a tad more all around me. Being in camo I blended in well.

After a while I sat there with my knees up and my arms resting on top of them. The barrel of my rifle was pointing outwards and down in front of me. As I was looking out into that small field I heard a light sound. It was that groundhog and he was only a few feet away. I didn't move and quietly switched the safety into the fire position as he walked within inches of the muzzle of my rifle. Without moving I just squeezed the trigger. The fat old groundhog just fell over sideways, shuttered, twitched a little and was dead. He was so close that the rifle just made a "Thump" sound. I'm going to say he was a whole whopping 4- 5 inches from the muzzle, which was basically at the tips of my toes.

Last edited:
I still have my original Baker with hand climber (hoarder?). I had a smaller one called a Mite-E-Mite with no hand climber. I probably left if in the woods several decades ago. I liked them because they were light and folded flat.

Here's me with an early model compound bow and the Baker strapped to my back.

Florida 1.jpg

Them things in The Great Dismal Swamp ain‘t deer Jay, they’re dogs. I killed a buck and in the picture I’m holding him up by the hind legs with one arm like a rabbit (could only hold it fo the pic though, on real film!). Lots of hunters on the public land in Suffolk.
I don’t get mine in the Dismal Swamp- too much poison ivy and bears! 🤣
When I first came to Tidewater in’97, I kept seeing all these tiny little fawns, even though it was too late in the year. I finally asked a fellow where all the adult deer were, only to be told that that was them! 😱
I’m actually in Charles City- we grow them a mite bigger… the yeller one is my dog. She’s a Meth Lab. See? I CAN tell the difference! 🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• IMG_8140.jpeg
    IMG_8140.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back