• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

oCivil war msukets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukewellington

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw a civil war msuket in the store the other day and it looked awsome, great to hold too. Anyone shoot or own one of these things?
I almost brought it, but I restrained myslef as I'm saving for al ongrifle. It would be so cool just to shoot a 58cal ball at a big chuck on plywood. :grin:

Good times :wink:

dukewellington said:
I saw a civil war msuket in the store the other day and it looked awsome, great to hold too. Anyone shoot or own one of these things?
I almost brought it, but I restrained myslef as I'm saving for al ongrifle. It would be so cool just to shoot a 58cal ball at a big chuck on plywood. :grin:

Good times :wink:

It is cool. Smacking a gong at long range and getting a deer with one is delightful. :grin:

Was the musket original or a reproduction? I've recently acquired a Colt 1861 rifled musket and I really enjoyed launching 525gr Minie Balls down range. :grin:

A civil war musket? That leaves things open to a lot of interpretation. I assume you're talking smooth-bore not rifle, or do you mean a rifle musket such as the P/53 Enfield?

If you're talking the latter then the MLAGB holds National Championship matches for Enfields out to 600 yards and a club I am in has an Enfield aggregate fired at 600 and 800 yards. You'll need a Minie bullet for these distances though, you roundball won't do it (at least with any accuracy).

Enfields and similar arms are easy and fun to shoot, but can take a little work to learn to get the best from them.... but that's satisfying and enjoyable in itself.

David

I simply LOVE rifled muskets, they are my favorite muzzleloaders.
They're beautiful, they are big, they have big calibers, they are easy to shoot fast, they can be very accurate and are easy to handle. :thumbsup:

I have one from armi sports, its a replica of the 1842 Springfield which got rifling and sights in Harpers Ferry. Shoots 730 grain concials of .685 caliber, currently I am still developing a load it likes but with 75 grain of 3FG and a steady rest I shoot 3'' groups at fifty yards. Good enough for me. :grin:
The recoil is a killer, much more than twice the recoil you get with the 520 grain out of the .58. Definitely gets your attention. :shocked2:

I was talking about the smoothbores as it all I can own over here in the UK. I found a very good 3 band enfiled for good money brand new :bow:

dukewellington said:
I was talking about the smoothbores as it all I can own over here in the UK. I found a very good 3 band enfiled for good money brand new :bow:

Read David Minshall's above post more carefully, he is a UK shooter and uses his rifled muskets in competition there. You can do it if you follow the regulations, he can advise you, he has an avid following even here in the US. Follow his link to his "Research Press" by clicking on his name and going to his profile. You will love the rifle musket, that is what you were looking at.

There are two forms of certificate in the UK, shotgun and firearm. The former only permits smooth-bores, whereas the latter is needed for rifled arms. Mr.Wellington and I have corresponded on UK firearm laws via PM.

David

Good morning.

You will need the Top Hat Musket cap for the larger musket nipple.

P.

How accurate could a 58cal smoothbore springfield musket be with a tight fitting PRB ball?
Up to 50-100 yards say.

dukewellington said:
How accurate could a 58cal smoothbore springfield musket be with a tight fitting PRB ball?
Up to 50-100 yards say.

I've seen (and shot) 4-inch smoothie groups at 50, but beyond that it starts to open a bit. There was, as someone pointed out, a good reason they went to rifled barrels and conicals.

Hey, if you want to see how some of us have fun shooting Civil War firearms, check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtpI0zcaEjA

Get to this side of The Pond some summer and take in a skirmish. It'll make ya wet yer powder! :rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a quote attributable to a British General who said that a soldier with a Brown Bess shooting at one hundred yards had about as much chance as hitting the Man in the Moon. Still, at fifty, I wouldn't want to be in the Sea of Tranquility. Also, if your musket has good sights, that will help greatly.

I suppose in battle conditions and with the training in aiming (or lack thereof), some soldiers would have had trouble hitting anything small at 100 yds. But I have, quite a few times by aiming carefuly as I can without a rear sight, hit a pie plate sized target at 100 yds. This was with both a patched ball and with a bare ball with only the cartridge paper as wadding. It's not the most consistent shooting I've done, but with care, it can be done!

I wasn't aware of any .58 calibre smooth bore "Springfield",sure you weren't looking at a .69?

Dixie Gun Works and I am sure others now sell smooth bore , Italian made civil war style
rifle- muskets for re inacting to make cleaning easier. So for those who do not live fire they can get a less expensive gun.

P.

Back