• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions about .54 caliber paper cartridges plus box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armoredman

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of making paper cartridges for my TC Renegade and my sons highly customized left handed Kit Carson, both in .54. I am starting from absolute nothing, only thing I know is making a few 44 caliber revolver cartridges with the Guns of the West kit, really haven't shot them that much, going to experiment with nitrided paper next. So, to start, I am GUESSING I can make the same style, paper around powder with ball glued to the top, ram it in, or is there another, better method? My son is VERY methodical, and in a single shooting session he might get 6-7 rounds down range in two hours. Seriously, he takes forever, but he IS having one heck of a good time, never seen him grin so much shooting when he is making smoke. Neither one of us would meet Civil War reload speeds, ever, but it might be kinda cool to make him some paper cartridges' to speed it along a wee bit. I love seeing that grin.
Second - what pouch/kit to carry them? It is not unreasonable to think I might carry my rifle afield, and I am thinking about what kind of pouch/box/etc., might be a good way to do it? I couple probably get a drill and drill out some holes in a wood block, ( 9/16th is .5625, think that would be wide enough?), but just wondering if anyone had an idea of something that, obviously wouldn't be "period correct" for anything, might look neat as well, one for him and one for me, even though he doesn't hunt.
Just throwing that out there if anyone has some good ideas/links I might follow? Thank you so much for your help.

If your paper cartridges include deleting the cloth patch from your loads I’m afraid you’re going to be disappointed in the accuracy you’re going to get. Paper cartridges are for civil war era rifles using minie bullets. Reinventing the wheel for patched roundball rifles is a waste of powder and lead in my opinion.

I have a Minie ball mold...
Check the cast boolits forum.

I shoot minies in competition. I also shoot a paper cartridge Sharps. While I don't nitrate the paper for the Sharps, I've had zero ignition issues. I think you'll have problems if you try Sharps type of ammo in your T/C.

Consider N-SSA style musket ammo instead. Use a tube to hold the powder. Insert minie nose first as a stopper. Dip lube the exposed base.

SAM_0426.JPG

Nifty, thank you! I did order some of the Traditions Universal Fast Loaders, haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Back