• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NY State wins the 2023 New England Flintlock Championship shoot this year!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Congrats to NY for finally knocking the great State of Vermont off their perennial '1st place' perch!

And a big, hearty HUZZAH to the Team Capt ... our own 'ADK Bigfoot' who posts on here! He did an incredible job recruiting new talent to his Team and holding scheduled practice sessions and it sure paid off. Bigfoot himself came in 4th place overall in the shootings of the top shooters, with the top shooter overall Matt, also hailing from NY, with 2nd & 3rd spots owned by VT.

And beware, only the # of Xs or 1 sole point separated most of the top shooters!

I am sooooo happy for Bigfoot and the entire NY Team! Congratulations! :ghostly:

Last edited:
Please, do not let NY become one of the New England states, we have enough trouble as it is !

Attachments

• IMG_2530.jpeg
    IMG_2530.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0
I was going to ask when I saw the title,,, when did New York become a New England state?
Granted, the Yorkers are taking over parts of Connecticut making a bad situation worse,,,,, but New York is not New England.
My bad ... yeah i get it ... my haste in error, but note they're still invited and allowed to participate.

As is we need MORE black powdah events for anyone to join and be welcome, as sad to say it, but there wasn't anyone in attendance as a shooter, who appeared to be under 40-years old ...

Please, do not let NY become one of the New England states, we have enough trouble as it is !
I hope you realize this post was young in cheek.
Congratulation to all, I know some of the NY shooters, and they certainly deserve the 1st place finish. Hard work and practice pay off almost evert time. Good job!

As is we need MORE black powdah events for anyone to join and be welcome, as sad to say it, but there wasn't anyone in attendance as a shooter, who appeared to be under 40-years old ...
I agree. But, I think there is more to the problem than age. The few events available are not well promoted.
Maybe this forum needs a "calendar of events," that anyone can add to..... And add their event early. Because there already aren't enough events, they are often a bit far for many people, so a post on Weds or Thursday asking "who's going to the such and thus shoot this weekend," doesn't get folks there.
Unfortunately, unless more matches are held, and probably more small matches at more locations so folks can see the fun would be more beneficial, where and when they can be observed, attendance will continue to dwindle.....

Of course there is also the fact that there are those of us for whom dealing with more than 5 or 6 people unknown to us is a deal breaker.

Sorry to ramble so long on this

I echo the congratulations to the New York Team. When we have different winners from time to time it's healthy for the sport. The Team Shoot is an event where group solidarity and enthusiasm run very high, and we can always use more of that in muzzleloading competition. New York obviously has lots of good shooters, and if you have met them you also know that they are pleasant, friendly people and good sports. In my view their participation strengthens the match program and keeps things interesting. If anyone objects to the fact that New York is not part of New England we can consider that the NE in the title of this event stands not for New England, but rather for North Eastern. This is not the first victory for New York, by the way; they won this competition some years ago and hosted it at the Saratoga club the following year.
I'm also happy and proud for the Massachusetts team. They are an up-and-coming group with very good potential. I believe we will see lots of good things from them when they hit their stride.
This shoot is about high scores, but also lots more, for the camaraderie crosses state lines.
Thanks to all who participated in this event! You are all winners in the big picture of muzzleloading competition.
This match has taken place annually since 1990, with two years off during the COVID pandemic. Maine enjoyed a very long streak of well-deserved victories, and in recent years Vermont has come out on top. We are pleased that New Hampshire has been a noticeable presence for a couple of years. They too have fine potential. I know that there are some very good flintlock shooters in Connecticut. It would be great if they could join in the fun.
Keep your powder dry, a sharp flint, and a sharp eye.
Eric Bye

I was going to ask when I saw the title,,, when did New York become a New England state?
Granted, the Yorkers are taking over parts of Connecticut making a bad situation worse,,,,, but New York is not New England.
The line runs south through Long Island in western Suffolk County.
The eastern half of the Island was part of New England

Get the word out.
How bout all those thousands who crawl the forums hourly join their state association.
Then when the news letter goes out with shoot dates listings you'll have a better idea of when and where the shoots are.
Here's the NY web page New York State Muzzle Loaders Association

Regards,
blackpowderbill
Past NYSMLA President
Now in Georgia
Maine does not have a state MLA, at least not that I can find on the web. The NMLRA website for clubs by state hasn't been updated in a couple of years. There is a FB group for Northern New England shoots, but it's a private group and you can't see the info if you're not a group member (and if you don't post in the group, you get kicked out, so you can't even be a part of it just to see what's going on.)

This is not helping the sport.

Congrats to the team. I've shot with Vinny in our local shoots in Region 3. We had a club shoot last Sunday at Saugerties F&G, only 4 shooters, and everyone had grey hair! Wish we could get more young people involved.

Congratulations to the New York team. I'm happy to see you back. I understand that Massachusetts participated as well. I hope you all will keep this shoot going, it was always a good time. I miss it.

Latest posts

Back