• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"North-West" Gun in 1859

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arizona_brigade

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am doing research into the area of the southwest where I live and came across this article in the "Weekly Arizonan", A Tubac, AZ newspaper in 1859. It mentions various weapons available some were advertised over and over but some new ads come up. Specifically this one advertises "North-West" guns. What configuration would these have been in 1859 in the Southwest. Would these just been something like a .50 or .54 cal Leman type trade rifle?

Also interesting was the Availability form the merchant in Tubac, Fredrick Hullsman - Colt revolving carbines in 6 cylinder and 5 cylinder.

Anyway I was just wondering if by 1859 if these are the smooth-bore "North-West" guns or basically a full or half stock plains style trade rifle. Article is below:

azweeklyads.jpg

The North West Trade gun was a staple of the early trade era, usually an inexpensively made smooth bore flint lock, Several different makers and grade where available as time past but all had the same basic design concept. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/GunKit.aspx/606/1/NORTH-WEST-TRADE-GUN-PARTS-LIST

My guess is everyone nation wide knew what a North West gun is and was.
Keep in mind by 1859 the country was on the cusp of the Civil War .

Last edited by a moderator:
The term "North West" was mostly used to refer to British origin trade guns obtained through Hudson Bay or other British owned/controlled companies trading through the years. At the time you refer to in your post, both converted and specifically percussion made versions were still available and would be through the early 1870's. The latest date I recall seeing was 1872. Many late "North West" guns were British guns made with the standard drum & nipple technique as well as a few with what appear to be Enfield style locks and barrels. During the mid 1800's there were also a few American makers as well as Liege makers who contributed to the supply of trade guns distributed in the North West Territories and the Northwestern U.S.

Unsold stock was returned (flintlock) post1900 so they were still being sold in limited numbers then. 1859 time frame it was most likely a flint lock, but possible that it was a percussion gun as they were starting to get around by then.
Refering to HBC guns .

I worked on an original Barnett flintlock stamped 1878. However it was shipped to me from Canada, not the area in question here. The last reputed flintlock sold by HBC was in 1900, probably as a curiosity.

Back