• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Curlys .72 caliber north west trade gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect Curly may have put out more than 10 of the 12 gauge trade guns. In one trade gun match back in the late '80s there were 8 shooters using them. (Winner used a little old 24 gauge NWG.)

I wasn't a fan because of the recoil. One day in '87 we had a grizzly wander through camp, and I reached to the rack to grab a gun. I S-E-R-I-O-U-S-L-Y considered grabbing my 24 gauge NWG, but instead grabbed my partner's 12 gauge example of Curly's finest. . . and prayed I wouldn't have to shoot it. Too many bears on that trip, I eventually swapped off my 24 gauge and carried a cut-down Bess for 20 years.
Whats wrong with a grizzley in camp ?. There' Primitive' definatly pre 1840 high plains and they don't eat many people .
In my day,,,,,,,,,,,, Yep .
Regards Rudyard

I got this one off a seller on the americanlongrifle forum. I think it's a NSW in 20 Gauge. Only fired it a few times. Got some pan flashes (2F main charge and in the pan). The vent hole is right at the breech plug face but is clear of it. I opened up the plug liner a little on the inside and plan to try 3F when my order from Grafs gets here. The lock sparks great so that's no problem at all. It's a nice, light gun, the barrel is beautiful with the octagon to round transition and two wedding bands. I want to work up a round ball load in it. Not into shotgun use.

fowler1.JPEG

fowler2.JPEG

fowler3.JPEG

fowler4.JPEG

fowler5.JPEG

fowler6.JPEG

you are so right! some one who knowes why so few of the beasts were made & didn't go over well. but that is why they are sought after 50 + yrs. later. we are still talking about them.
I certainly do regret trading it away. I don't do that often any more. My kids will have lots of guns to dispose of when I take my dirt nap.

David
NM

The first time I shot mine, I loaded it with 100 grains of FF Goex with a patched .715 ball. I had my cheek in just the right position to catch the full recoil. That will leave an impression on you in a couple of ways. I now shoot with 65 grains of FF.
I bloodied my nose a couple of times with my right thumb. I was stubborn and always shot 90gr. Thought I was tough and could handle it....

David
NM

I certainly do regret trading it away. I don't do that often any more. My kids will have lots of guns to dispose of when I take my dirt nap.

David
NM
yeh, that dirt sleep in the marble orchard sucks. and they put a stone on top of you to keep you down & put a fence around it to keep you in!!

I suspect Curly may have put out more than 10 of the 12 gauge trade guns. In one trade gun match back in the late '80s there were 8 shooters using them. (Winner used a little old 24 gauge NWG.)

I wasn't a fan because of the recoil. One day in '87 we had a grizzly wander through camp, and I reached to the rack to grab a gun. I S-E-R-I-O-U-S-L-Y considered grabbing my 24 gauge NWG, but instead grabbed my partner's 12 gauge example of Curly's finest. . . and prayed I wouldn't have to shoot it. Too many bears on that trip, I eventually swapped off my 24 gauge and carried a cut-down Bess for 20 years.
That 24 gauge would be a sweet trade gun I would think!

The 24 gauge was a great gun for shooting ball; I won several tradegun matches with it. I played a bit with using shot, but I'm a lousy wingshooter . . . when shooting bluerock I actually did better shooting ball and aiming like a rifle than I did with shot!

I got this one off a seller on the americanlongrifle forum. I think it's a NSW in 20 Gauge. Only fired it a few times. Got some pan flashes (2F main charge and in the pan). The vent hole is right at the breech plug face but is clear of it. I opened up the plug liner a little on the inside and plan to try 3F when my order from Grafs gets here. The lock sparks great so that's no problem at all. It's a nice, light gun, the barrel is beautiful with the octagon to round transition and two wedding bands. I want to work up a round ball load in it. Not into shotgun use.

View attachment 179799
View attachment 179800
View attachment 179801
View attachment 179802
View attachment 179803
View attachment 179804
Those may be NSW parts, but it wasn't built by a company builder.

what!? No pictures??!!
sorry! I put a new lock on it, I still have the Lott and put it on from time to time but it eats flints like crazy hahah. Also put a removable rear sight on it but it’s easy to take off

Attachments

• AEC7E3C9-8638-4DB2-93CE-27928CC4515F.jpeg
    AEC7E3C9-8638-4DB2-93CE-27928CC4515F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 0D11835F-0320-4A7E-B463-9B5DA594F0F9.jpeg
    0D11835F-0320-4A7E-B463-9B5DA594F0F9.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 89222CF2-D34F-43F3-9253-A73CFA2E349C.jpeg
    89222CF2-D34F-43F3-9253-A73CFA2E349C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • F0A8E5E4-6D86-46A0-9666-4D70984433CE.jpeg
    F0A8E5E4-6D86-46A0-9666-4D70984433CE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1ACBE5F1-9CD9-4799-B6C2-A3D14133C210.jpeg
    1ACBE5F1-9CD9-4799-B6C2-A3D14133C210.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • AA93DE70-625B-4813-A840-9BFC2C7DF165.jpeg
    AA93DE70-625B-4813-A840-9BFC2C7DF165.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 5A44DC58-15BF-47EA-9CF3-7358F12F1810.jpeg
    5A44DC58-15BF-47EA-9CF3-7358F12F1810.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 577C385E-63AD-4EEE-A168-C29A9DE0A4B8.jpeg
    577C385E-63AD-4EEE-A168-C29A9DE0A4B8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
What lock did you use to replace the Lott lock?
I think it was from clay smith? I sent my old one in he made me a new spring for that and hardened my frizzin, and I got the new lock off him as well it fit pretty good had to adjust some but it was good. I believe that’s where I got it

Pete Allan made the replacement lock. I haven't seen one for sale in years.
Yeah I had to call around but clay was confident and the real issue was I had to file down the main spring a little I believe. You might be able to zoom in on the picture and see

Attachments

• 909BBFF1-3269-41E6-B4B9-861EE412460E.jpeg
    909BBFF1-3269-41E6-B4B9-861EE412460E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
NSW stands for North Star West. I remember when Curly came back from Australia. He had a kangaroo hide with him, and had all us trappers scratching our heads trying to figure out what it was.
This Curly sounds like an interesting character. Never knew anything about him until finding my Curly Trade Gun at auction. Someone should post a bio of him on line, if not already!

Re the illustrious Curls .He told me all his barrels where Shaw Barrels & they came in all bores He milled the oct & added the Circle Fox if often just into the milled lines so you couldn't get that out .unlike if it was dressed smooth first it would have been free of the lines . I bought 12 bores used them for UK flint shotguns no one moaned about excessive recoiling but non shot ball either or at least officially. sporting guns should be light anyway .. When he started he used Lotts (Our old friend Lott was what Kit Ravenshear called them & they will work up I get the 'Lott '& florals filled then dressed them of & cut Crown GR Tower & the Acceptance arrow under the pan they are then about bang right size for Govt Carbines ( The one in the Lawrences Pattern now in the RA at Leeds) is a Lott copied in Cawnpore worked up just fine & used a lot in tests . I had no complaints . Curly G said he used the Lotts till Navey Arms put the price up on him So he made his own there after I did some' In the white' Chiefs, I anglesized large Silers if you have one might be one I was able to knock out 4 common in the Whites a week but could only manage two ITW Chief's as per originaly they where more involved If he couldn't see that so no more ever. Other than ones I made finnished for customers there was one 12 bore stocked in beech & blued brl I made in UK with brum proofs along with a 20 bore stocked in w nut or maple( ive had a sleep since then !) its proofed too as it had to be ,A Mr Frank Strieght from Belleview Washington put out a 'Burnett.' TG early 70 s never had dealings other than some patent ceramic' flints ' Thats about me TG ed out. Unless you want a really superior Chief's But getting it to the US is currently a hassel Rudyard
Thanks, Rudyard!

This Curly sounds like an interesting character. Never knew anything about him until finding my Curly Trade Gun at auction. Someone should post a bio of him on line, if not already!
Theres a good article on him in one of the Book of Buckskinner volumes, he stayed with us in NSW Australia when he flew out to catch up with his son Bob living here.
I'd contacted him earlier about buying a Trade Gun kit and he was very helpful, was surprised to learn that Left handed Trade Guns existed in 1800's.
I'll take some photos of mine tomorrow and post them.

View attachment 179799
View attachment 179800
View attachment 179801
View attachment 179802
View attachment 179803
View attachment 179804

@akroguy that's a beauty! I need that for my wife; her maiden name is Fox!

Back