• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-PC Issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GobblerKnob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
In this sense, PC means politically correct. I visit another black powder forum that is under attack right now. Some of you here also visit that same forum. The threat of closing it down is very real and stems from the use of some un-politically correct language as I understand the problem to be. I don't know all the details, I just know that the person who was offended has threatened legal action. This forum, as is that forum, is a wonderful resource. Please be mindful of what you post so the same doesn't happen here...

Well just damn!! :bull:

Seems everyone (but me) knows what the problem is over at ALR. So, if it is not a national security secret, perhaps you could share this information with others so we do not fall victim here and elsewhere. :yakyak:

Unfortunately, I only know the cursory stuff. I read that a brand new user, who claimed they were 1/4 African American, was offended by someone else's user name. I don't recall the user name in question. Another member replied he was also 1/4 African American, he wasn't offended, and basically to suck it up. I logged off for the night and when I logged on this AM, found things had spiraled downhill in a hurry. This recollection is based on the limited exposure to what I'd seen last night, so if I'm inaccurate or someone knows different, I'll stand corrected. I posted it so we didn't have the same problem here.

See what happens? They get all sugared up on Easter candy and the gloves come off.

I'll hand it to the members here. There's enough sense among us to know when to throw a bucket of water on a couple tanglin dogs without waitin for an "official" to step in.

If two dopes get to wrasslin and knock the chili in the fire we all go hungry.

Maybe I'm thinking the wrong way, but if someone skuffs my feelings I just leave. Because we can't see each other some folks feel they can write things they couldn't get away with saying face to face. I was told once it's what you do when no one is looking that gives away your true nature. Be nice and turn the cheek every now and again. Sorry for the sermon, but there wasn't anybody looking. ::
Bimbo

See what happens? They get all sugared up on Easter candy and the gloves come off.

I'll hand it to the members here. There's enough sense among us to know when to throw a bucket of water on a couple tanglin dogs without waitin for an "official" to step in.

If two dopes get to wrasslin and knock the chili in the fire we all go hungry.

Two observations...IMO there are two traits that we need to learn and refine when dealing on forums such as this:

1) Understand the purpose of the forum...some people view a forum as an arena...a place to conduct pitched battles over different viewpoints on a subject...instead of exchanging ideas on the same subject and letting it go...we have to learn to accept the fact that someone else may and can have different opinions, abilities, equipment, techniques, budgets, weather, etc...too many instances of "well, the is the way you should do it" instead of "here's one way to do it", and leave it at that.
A forum is just a big electronic bulletin board to post Q&A's, review different ideas & opinions, take what you want and leave the rest, end of story.

2) The second trait that can be learned is to "end a dialogue when it starts to get heated", instead of letting it escalate into a personal "did so / did not / did so" kind of an interchange...too many "back & forths"...some of them never end until a thread is padlocked and both parties come off looking bad.
If somebody gets too heavy handed, set limits by making it crystal clear you think it's crossed the line, then end it.

3) If wrong, learn to apologize.

I've learned a lot in these areas myself using forums for a few years now...it's a learned trait and can take time, some are further along at it than others, others not as far along as some...

I "feel" lots of discrimination aginst blind-shooter's on this forum, even tho all you fellas are too sneaky to say so!! :cry: :cry:

...., and I'm not be'n paranoid neither!! :rolleyes:

YMHS
rollingb :haha:

As of latest post on the AL site, the issue has cooled and the site is probably going to survive....It is a shame that so many people have so little sense of humor anymore and are so uptight about so many things that they can't seem to just talk it out....too, it is difficult to transmit "tone of voice". etc via the printed word and alot of people don't use the little humor icons and such which often defuse any anger that might arise from a poorly selected word or sentence...been guilty of that myself, but I am quick to apologize...sorry for the rambling, but things like almost happened at AL site are becoming more common. We cannot keep every one happy and short fuses seem to be on the increase percentage-wise.... :: :imo:

I "feel" lots of discrimination aginst blind-shooter's on this forum, even tho all you fellas are too sneaky to say so!!

Well, if ye'd fire and then turn around to complain that we had ye pointed at the wrong target ye'd sense a lot less hostility hereabouts.

And Zonie never will forgive ye for confusin his gun-safe trailer for the Porti-John.

Roundball has a good point about folk's attitudes. Some seem to confuse the "forum" with the "coliseum" and come in looking for a fight.

Oh no!!! wait a minute...isn't "Bimbo" a derogatory name for a girl??? Gee, now that I look behind the mask :shocking:its' a boy.:nono: :blah: Excuse me...gentleman. Anyone want to start a discussion on that :sleep:

What has happened to having a sensible disagreement?Differing opinions are what make for a intelligent decision.Today all we seem interested in is a fight.I am glad I am closer to the end of the trail than the beginning,I realy can't stand the BS.Sorry about the soapbox. :m2c:

Well, i may be wrong, (won't be the first time) but the problem as i see it is TOO many Lawyers, and Too many Civil Rights Groups. Our country has become a land of lawsuits to settle everything. I mean give me a break, a woman goes into a McDonalds and orders a cup of HOT coffee and then is dumb enough to spill it in her lap, and she sues them and wins. Come on. And also it is the "We can't say that because it might offend someone of a different religion, nationality, race, creed, whatever mentality". Come on people, this it still the United States Of America. People still have a right to their opinion. If that opinion offends someone who is in this country, especially if they are here illegally, then i'm sorry but that's the way it is. I don't know, i guess the whole world is messed up any more. Sure wish things were more like they were when we were kids. Life was a lot less complicated then. There are some great folks on this forum, and we seem to be able to settle our difference without to much problem, with no name calling and such. Too bad the rest of the world can't act the same. Ok, i'll step down off my soapbox and wait for the flack.

I "feel" lots of discrimination aginst blind-shooter's on this forum, even tho all you fellas are too sneaky to say so!!

Well, if ye'd fire and then turn around to complain that we had ye pointed at the wrong target ye'd sense a lot less hostility hereabouts.

And Zonie never will forgive ye for confusin his gun-safe trailer for the Porti-John.

Some folks are jest to "particular" about the "direction" I shoot my rifle!! :cry: :cry:

..... now I'm "scared fer life" from both those comments!! :cry: :cry: ..... and Zonie ought'a "lock" his trailer door!! :haha:

YMHS
rollingb

What has happened to having a sensible disagreement?Differing opinions are what make for a intelligent decision.Today all we seem interested in is a fight.I am glad I am closer to the end of the trail than the beginning,I realy can't stand the BS.Sorry about the soapbox. :m2c:

I think excitement and zeal can enter into it...I know when I started in muzzleloading, and reached a point where when I did something twice in a row and it worked both times I thought I knew something and was excited to "share" how to do it with other people...then, of course the further along I went the more I began to realize I didn't know squat...I just happened to have something that worked that time, that day, that part of the year, under those weather conditions, in that setting, etc, etc...and oh by the way, it might have been pure luck anyway.

Or, instead of innocent excitement and zeal, I think some people consider what they've learned about muzzleloading as a body of knowledge representing their life's work, and use a forum as a pulpit...ie: they happen to use a particular size powder charge so that's it...nothing else is needed and is silly to even consider...they take a dug in position on something ridiculous like that, then the sparks start to fly, 'cause reputation and manhood and all that enter into it 'cause they know others are lurking and watching...so they can't lose face, etc.

Then there's the occasional ones who may have left the cork out of the bottle a little too long and are just downright beligerent...won't ever change their approach to things until they pour it down the drain and dry out permanently.

I used to think by the time I became an old man at 40, life would have taught me everything there was to know...then I thought surely that would be the case by age 50...now I'm going on 60 and still don't know squat cause I keep learning every day.
:imo: :m2c:

(PS: Flintlocks are great...all I shoot now...but it wasn't but a few years ago I thought they only existed in the American Revolution!)
:redthumb:

Little angry I missed all the fuss, I'm away on business (turkey business) and have limited use of a computer. Mark has deleted the threads so now i can even read them.

Chuck

Is it considered rude to ask the name of the other board? I'm always looking for gun info.

I doubt they could have done much anyways, these boards are typically private property and as such poster really have no rights.

Hey Roundball,
You said, "(PS: Flintlocks are great...all I shoot now...but it wasn't but a few years ago I thought they only existed in the American Revolution!)"

I wrote an article back in 2000 about Black Powder Rabbit Hunting where I stated that the percussion guns were probably the best choice and the most reliable for hunting.

Huh, I had to eat some crow on that one I'd bought into the old theory that flinters aren't as dependable. But now after much more experience with flintlocks I now believe mine are more reliable than cap guns.

Like you said we can always learn something new. When you learn it's never to late in life to learn something new then you've learned a valuable lesson I think!

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back