• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD 2nd Attempt, Parker Hale Whitworth Rifle-Unfired

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh for crying out loud, somebody over there in the tsunami torpedo target zone go drive over and look at it. I mean really, would you spend that much on a second hand gun and not go look at it?

Chingachgook777, best wishes on your sale and to the shooter that gets to use this lovely rifle.​

There are no Italian markings anywhere I can see. Only British proof marks. I will see if I feel comfortable yanking the barrel off. I would think however with British proof marks, it would not be Italian.

OP is running a very strange show here.
I don't know about that. OP said he would "let it go to the highest acceptable offer and we can work out shipping or pick up". Even said he isn't on the forum to respond as instantly as everyone believes should be expected and has responded to each question in his own timeframe. Even thanked folks for value-add info. We don't know what folks are offering and I think the seller gets to decide what is acceptable.

I see three pages of mostly folks not interested in buying his Whitworth making comments and mucking up his ad, suggesting it's a scam, suggesting he's not selling what he says he's selling, and whiners that want it so badly they need to complain when their offer is not acceptable to a seller.

I read lots of for sale ads on this and other forums, and this is a case study in why no comments should be allowed on for sale ads in this forum. Communication should be between seller and actual buyers. Otherwise caveat emptor.

Selling a black powder firearm and needs a transfer? In many states it's not even a firearm.

Plus, taking the barrel out of the stock is no big deal, most of us do it every big clean - the sights are on the barrel, so it's not as though they are disturbed when it's taken out of the woodwork.

All that I ever wanted to see is the proof stamp - by me it's a real P-H - no Italian rifle would have that Birmingham Proof stamp on it, or what is a high number for a P-H, but nowhere near the serial numbers we associate with Italian-made versions.
There are no Italian markings anywhere I can see. Only British proof marks. I will see if I feel comfortable yanking the barrel off. I would think however with British proof marks, it would not be Italian.

If it has British proof marks, like the crown over BP we see on the barrel, then naturally it's not Italian. All we are asking is to see the other marks underneath the barrel, so that we can put a date of proof to the gun and settle the matter of the possible mis-stamped serial.

Italian proof stamps are lined up in a row above the woodwork on the left-hand side of most rifles -

1691013199895.png

Date stamp is 1999.

Last edited:
I don't know about that. OP said he would "let it go to the highest acceptable offer and we can work out shipping or pick up". Even said he isn't on the forum to respond as instantly as everyone believes should be expected and has responded to each question in his own timeframe. Even thanked folks for value-add info. We don't know what folks are offering and I think the seller gets to decide what is acceptable.

I see three pages of mostly folks not interested in buying his Whitworth making comments and mucking up his ad, suggesting it's a scam, suggesting he's not selling what he says he's selling, and whiners that want it so badly they need to complain when their offer is not acceptable to a seller.

I read lots of for sale ads on this and other forums, and this is a case study in why no comments should be allowed on for sale ads in this forum. Communication should be between seller and actual buyers. Otherwise caveat emptor.
Several people have been scammed by new users offering Whitworths with bery compelling evidence the rifle was real.

Couldn't agree more.

So he lists it for $1000, and then turns it into an auction? Since when is that ok? I thought the rules are we have to list a price in our ads.

A new member selling a desirable gun for a 'too-good-to-be-true' price, raises red flags. And then there are more red flags turning the offering into a silent auction, placing restrictions on the sale, and then having difficulty with a simple job of removing the barrel to show proof marks.

Is it any wonder this has dragged on for three pages? Wake up, JV, and smell the garbage. It's possible all is legit, but at this point who's willing to chance a grand (or who knows how much he'll accept - $2K?) on a possible scam?

Any good fishing tackle store should have a night lite, disposable light for a bobber and night fishing. To turn on you push in, pull out to turn off, they will drop down a .22 bore and will light up the bore, $3-$5 will help sell your rifle, they have them on amazon as well.

Thanks for your perspective JV32311. You are quite astute in your assessment. And no this hasn't been a quick sale for a number of reasons. First and foremost because I am learning about this piece as I go along, as well as providing people with their requested information, and as was stated I don't have time to get on here more then once or twice a week. Regarding PM s I am currently discussing sale with a few individuals who can as mentioned pick this up in person. That saves me a lot of hassle so I'm trying that route first. And finally it isn't an "auction " but I do reserve final choice of who I sell it to and at what offered price. I don't think they are requesting I pull off the barrel either, but if they do I might. If I decide to I will certainly post pics here. And for those of you who have actually been been helpful here, again I thank you.

So he lists it for $1000, and then turns it into an auction? Since when is that ok? I thought the rules are we have to list a price in our ads.

A new member selling a desirable gun for a 'too-good-to-be-true' price, raises red flags. And then there are more red flags turning the offering into a silent auction, placing restrictions on the sale, and then having difficulty with a simple job of removing the barrel to show proof marks.

Is it any wonder this has dragged on for three pages? Wake up, JV, and smell the garbage. It's possible all is legit, but at this point who's willing to chance a grand (or who knows how much he'll accept - $2K?) on a possible scam?
Let some poor sucker find out for himself

Taking the barrel out of the stock takes two minutes. Putting it back, the same. I don't see any kind of difficulty on doing so, and as I've already mentioned a number of times, it will actually tell us the date of the rifle.

It will also prove/disprove the mis-stamp.

There are a number of other ways of getting a rough DOM, but you'd have to know what to look for, and as you say that you are still 'learning about' the rifle, the proof marks are definitive. So what's the problem?

Just a suggestion. Other forums, such as The Firearms Forum, require a minimum number of posts before you're allowed to list things for sale. Something to think about.

You guys are so sweet. Good thing I Iearned to ignore static from the peanut gallery a long time ago. Now on to updates. I am currently in what will hopefully be final discussions on sale via PM messages. I very much appreciate all the serious interested parties, and I will keep everyone posted on the sale process. If one buyer falls through I will simply move on to the next until something settles. As for removing the barrel, it turned out easier than expected, so here is that image.
1691240184433.png

Hope this is what everyone was seeking. Enjoy!!

C>

GB over 2 = 1981. The '2' is the code letter for the inspector - #1 is the Proof Master.

Thank you. Wasn't so hard, was it? so now we know that the original three-digit number is the valid serial number, and that the maybe number faintly seen in front is a tool room error.

My own WW, serial #420, dates from 1980.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back