• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD 2nd Attempt, Parker Hale Whitworth Rifle-Unfired

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah my feeling is that this odd light number might be a mis-strike. Could be a 9 too though, but why so light?? I'm not sure I'm comfortable pulling the barrel off. Are they pins that need to be driven out?

Yeah my feeling is that this odd light number might be a mis-strike. Could be a 9 too though, but why so light?? I'm not sure I'm comfortable pulling the barrel off. Are they pins that need to be driven out? surprised this gun has not sold yet, if it’s one that was actually made in England.
Yeah my feeling is that this odd light number might be a mis-strike. Could be a 9 too though, but why so light?? I'm not sure I'm comfortable pulling the barrel off. Are they pins that need to be driven out?
This is a very good deal and I’m surprised it has not sold. If it was actually made in England it’s as good of quality you can get. I once had one of there musketoons and had a very well known and respected NSSA gun builder who lives close by do a trigger job on it and he said they were excellent quality. I also know someone who owns one and I believe he told me he was offered two grand for his and that was well over a decade ago.

No pins as far as I know. I’ve only owned the musketoons and they may be different but the barrel bands secure the barrel in place.

Not mine, I found this online awhile back -

Here, from the MLAGB archives of 2010, is the skinny on serial numbers -

ALL rifles and Musketoons - two band, three band and Whitworth - ALL calibres, that is to say, both .577/.58" and .451"

- 0000 to ~9000 were made in Birmingham

~9000 to 14000 Birmingham barrels, rest made in Italy

>14000 Italian made.
And by the way, if that’s a light strike it appears your rifle is a British made barrel. Beautiful rifle and an excellent price!

And by the way, if that’s a light strike it appears your rifle is a British made barrel. Beautiful rifle and an excellent price!
With a serial number of more than 9000 is this a true PH made gun? It seems to be, but I think I recall the genuine Parker Hales ran out at around 9000 with the rest being made by other manufacturers. TFoley could probably shed some light on this.

With a serial number of more than 9000 is this a true PH made gun? It seems to be, but I think I recall the genuine Parker Hales ran out at around 9000 with the rest being made by other manufacturers. TFoley could probably shed some light on this.
At least the barrel would be. And yes, I expect Tfoley could shed light here.

The complete FULLY-REAL Parker-Hale rifles - completed in Birmingham, ran out AROUND 9000-ish. The jury is still out on the exact figure. Mr Minshall, who is collection serial numbers with the help of people like me, would have a better grip on the figures. The clincher would be the proof marks UNDER the barrel, which the OP has not yet shown us. Here in UK proof marks are date-coded.

By AROUND 14,000, ALL P-H barrels had been used, as well as components. By then, wood was EuroArms, and some part like butt plates etc, common with the P53, too.

We REALLY DO NEED to see the proof marks to get some idea now, as a matter of urgency.

There are NO pins in this 'modern' design - you are thinking of the Pattern 51. Remember that the Whitworth rifle was based on the Pattern 53 rifled musket which has three barrel bands.

1. Put the gun on half-cock.

2. Undo the tang nail and remove it.

3. Slacken off the barrel bands and remove them - the front band needs to be rotated to clear the foresight.

4. Remember that they go back with the screw heads facing LEFT.

I take my barrel off once a year for a thorough clean, and re-bed it in good quality water-pump grease.

If that be the case, please show us the proof marks under the barrel to use as a guide to the OP's Whitworth.
I've provided those pics to this group in a prior thread, but here they are again. The OP will have to evaluate markings on his gun.

Attachments

• 376658-3e1b6f2815d832d5fcb0dd5d0e75987b.jpg
    376658-3e1b6f2815d832d5fcb0dd5d0e75987b.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 376663-9aa09ccf6e2e445a4eda0d7ce6b10b06.jpg
    376663-9aa09ccf6e2e445a4eda0d7ce6b10b06.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 376659-0c23848873f86708de886ec046518c50.jpg
    376659-0c23848873f86708de886ec046518c50.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have a PH Volunteer .451 which has a three number serial preceded by the letter H. I think it is a "Brummie PH". My musketoon is an 8000 series and is certainly UK made..

I have a PH Volunteer .451 which has a three number serial preceded by the letter H. I think it is a "Brummie PH". My musketoon is an 8000 series and is certainly UK made..

The H prefix means that it has Henry rifling. They are quite rare. If you are coy about publishing the serial number here, perhaps you might care to PM me with it, so that I can pass it on to Mr Minshall, who also is a member here. Same with the musketoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back