• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-Dovetailed Rear Sight?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in need of a rear sight to replace one that is missing from a Tingle rifle. It has two holes for mounting, approx. 0.73” apart and no dovetail. I’m thinking if I could find a sight like the one pictured but not pre-drilled, that would be the way to go, but the spacing is not correct on that one and the only other rear sights I’m finding are dovetailed. If anyone has other suggestions, I’d appreciate it!

Attachments

• D6989680-8F6C-47F1-999D-8E6F433758ED.jpeg
    D6989680-8F6C-47F1-999D-8E6F433758ED.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 83
I'd just weld the holes up on that sight and drill my own. Or if you don't have access to a welding machine use one of the existing holes and drill the other one where it needs to be

The rear sight on my Hawken is drilled and tapped. Maybe you can get a reputable gunsmith to cut a dovetail so you can put the rear sight you want or maybe you can find a rear sight you can drill to the appropriate spacing. I'm sure some of the more experienced people here can help you more.

I'd just weld the holes up on that sight and drill my own. Or if you don't have access to a welding machine use one of the existing holes and drill the other one where it needs to be
I may do just that, but part of me hates to spend $30 on a rear sight that requires that much work, so I thought I’d see if I turned up any other options first.

I am in need of a rear sight to replace one that is missing from a Tingle rifle. It has two holes for mounting, approx. 0.73” apart and no dovetail. I’m thinking if I could find a sight like the one pictured but not pre-drilled, that would be the way to go, but the spacing is not correct on that one and the only other rear sights I’m finding are dovetailed. If anyone has other suggestions, I’d appreciate it!
I have a similar rear sight hanging around in my stuff on the workbench. I'll take a pic tomorrow. It is made for a dovetail but, in my head, I can't see a reason why the dovetail piece can't be ground off and holes drilled where needed.

I have a similar rear sight hanging around in my stuff on the workbench. I'll take a pic tomorrow. It is made for a dovetail but, in my head, I can't see a reason why the dovetail piece can't be ground off and holes drilled where needed.

Thank you, a photo would be appreciated!

I bought a half dozen of these a while back that did NOT have the holes predrilled. The holes were an extra charge (maybe $10 or $15 extra - forget exact number), but I can’t recall the vendor at the moment. You may want to do some searching, you could get lucky.

I bought a half dozen of these a while back that did NOT have the holes predrilled. The holes were an extra charge (maybe $10 or $15 extra - forget exact number), but I can’t recall the vendor at the moment. You may want to do some searching, you could get lucky.
I have been searching, without success so far, but I’m glad to know they do exist!

Uhm,(?) The dovetail base is just extra metal left for the dovetail.
If it's not needed, it can be removed with a grinder.
Drill holes 0.73 apart and it's magic,, it'll fit! ;)

I safer option for filling screw holes is to make a screw out of mild steel that is partially threaded. Run it in the hole and let it bind up on the part where the threads taper away. Cut it off above flush. Peen it to swage out fully into the threads. File it off flush. The hole will completely disappear.

IF a guy is expert with a tig welder that is OK too. I would partly fill the hole with cylinder of metal , you don't want to mess up the bore. I would not gas or stick weld screw holes. Any welding can go very wrong very quickly.

Any welding can go very wrong very quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion, pretty much all my welding goes very wrong! I wouldn’t weld the barrel, but even so I’d probably burn through that little sight like it was nobody’s business. I think removing stock is going to be a safer bet for me.

Latest posts

Back