• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No5s v No7s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundball said:
Duplex Turkey loads of #4's & #6s are an excellent example of providing improved killing patterns for turkey head size targets, with the larger heavier #4s staying together longer in a tighter cluster for extended range on a small target...only needing 1 or 2 of those #4s to reach a distant turkey head and get the job done.
Then why not just load the #4's if that is what is needed wouldn't a full load be better than a half load?

I routinely carry mixed 4 and 6 shot in my shot snake, and my 12 patterns very well indeed with it.I get good results on turkey with it.I have dusted out more than a few squirrels as well.I killed a hen turkey at 35 long paces this fall and she had a nice shot count in her head and neck, several of which were fours.

Yes, and it's worth mentioning...this isn't some hair brained idea dreamed up by some stranger on the Internet...I don't know if Remington 'invented' the idea of duplex loads but they've been offering / selling them for decades.

So even putting aside my own personal experiences, I think it's safe to say we can put faith in the decades of engineering, testing, and continued sales of Remington Arms duplex loads.

roundball said:
Wrong again... :grin: ...that would reduce the pellet count significantly
You seem quite determined to fail to grasp this. When speaking of pellet count "you only count the pellets that count". :grin:
In other words, if you actually NEED the penetration of 4s then the 6s are just filler and you're left with just half a load of 4s. If, on the other hand, the penetration of 6s is adequate, then you don't need the 4s and they only serve to "reduce the pellet count significantly".
Certainly mixed shot will kill game, if the range is short enough and the game small enough for the smaller shot to be effective. But a straight load of either size would be at least equally effective. That is a good thing because if you're carrying mixed shot in a pouch you will have some loads that are nearly all large shot and some that are nearly all small.
If I want a compromise between #4 and #6 I'd prefer a straight load of #5 with the security of knowing what I have and what it can do and, more importantly, what it can not do. Makes a lot more sense to me than to mix two sizes and trust to luck.

"Certainly mixed loads will kill game if the range is short enough and the game small enough for the smaller shot to be effective".

CoyoteJoe said:
roundball said:
Wrong again... :grin: ...that would reduce the pellet count significantly
You seem quite determined to fail to grasp this. When speaking of pellet count "you only count the pellets that count". :grin:
In other words, if you actually NEED the penetration of 4s then the 6s are just filler and you're left with just half a load of 4s. If, on the other hand, the penetration of 6s is adequate, then you don't need the 4s and they only serve to "reduce the pellet count significantly".
Certainly mixed shot will kill game, if the range is short enough and the game small enough for the smaller shot to be effective. But a straight load of either size would be at least equally effective. That is a good thing because if you're carrying mixed shot in a pouch you will have some loads that are nearly all large shot and some that are nearly all small.
If I want a compromise between #4 and #6 I'd prefer a straight load of #5 with the security of knowing what I have and what it can do and, more importantly, what it can not do. Makes a lot more sense to me than to mix two sizes and trust to luck.
I'm sorry but you need to do some research and better understand the purpose of a duplex load.
Regarding turkeys for examplem a 4 x 6 duplex load allows a close range head shot that the #6's will spread enough to ensure a clean where the wad of #4s might actually miss the tiny target at close range, etc.

At any rate, you seem bent on creating controversy on a subject where clearly none exists at all...so my direction to you is if you have a problem understanding duplex loads, take it up with the Remington Arms Corporation.

I'm sure they would appreciate you telling them that they've been completely wrong all these decades...and will surely drop their entire duplex load line of business based upon your opinion.

Turkey and duck/goose hunting are the game they're most often used for...people with hands on experience understand duplex loads...and they can't be "theorized" away :wink:

Roundball, I understand exactly why Remington produces their "duplex" loads, to sell to people like you. That is also why ONLY Remington loads them, there just aren't many people like you. :grin:
I didn't start this discussion and there really is no controversy, anyone who just thinks about it understands that mixed shot sizes are a dumb idea.

turkey.jpg
100_0080.jpg

Here are some mixed shot results, this was before I was informed that duplex loads were a dumb idea.

That was Maxine, she was more properly a Jack Russel.I bred squirrel dogs for many years. I had a line of dogs out her grandsire that were rather well known for pricked ears and tree climbing, so you could call them a fiest. Most "fiests" or mountain curs are just long established lines of terrier crosses. The term is a little misleading.I have had breeders get all huffy at the mere mention of Jack Russels in their line, but they can't trace theirs back more than about ten generations. Bad discussion to get in down south, sort of like religion.

Back