• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The hips don't lie!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
COVID last week has left me with a legacy of aches and pains. Every bone including teeth hurt still and it's getting me down, the hips especially hurt! Everything is hard and the drive to get out is waining, especially to go get this season's first pheasants.
Well after a long night out with modern gear on varmints and aching all over for it the next day I decided a gentle waddle into some wild pheasants on my patch with some primitive hardware and no tech was in order!

It's been so long since I've been out with this flintlock I felt naked! No thermal, no optics, no binos, just a knife, flint and black powder!
At first I was rushing and not looking but I soon got back into the rhythm. Slowed down and started to watch more, move less. Then I started to enjoy myself with the simplicity.

Now this ain't no flying bird hunt like most of the UK conduct pheasant hunting, no, it's stalking them only these birds are not stupid, they are wild. All I do is keep the foxes down and they breed. I keep the hens but take the cock birds. I do wing shoot them but occasionally with the flintlock trade gun put the sneak on for a sustainance bird or two.
Well I got me my first two of the year. Considering the rain and damp I did suffer a couple of miss fires but after knapping the flint got fire.
Loads were 4f and #5 shot.
Anyway the pictures oh and my favourite snitzl coming up 😋.
IMG_20231104_153633.jpg

IMG_20231104_160547.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to read that you are up and about! Being sick, especially on opening day of a season, isn’t fun. (I am sympathetic because I forced myself out this morning - first day for deer Muzzleloading- even with my flu. Had a lovely morning but no show game.)
Best wishes on your improving health and continued great hunting!

Well done Sir. Back in the 60's our state stocked and released Ringnecks and I very much enjoyed hunting them with my father in the fall. We could walk them up in the tall grass fields without need for a dog. It was a great time. They would rise up with a cackle, pause briefly and just long enough to shoulder and fire before departing.

Unfortunately, it seems the birds don't survive the winters here very well on their own. The state stopped stocking many years ago and I have not hear a rooster crow in ages. There are still a couple of locations where birds are released but they are not convenient to visit and its just not the same.

COVID last week has left me with a legacy of aches and pains. Every bone including teeth hurt still and it's getting me down, the hips especially hurt! Everything is hard and the drive to get out is waining, especially to go get this season's first pheasants.
Well after a long night out with modern gear on varmints and aching all over for it the next day I decided a gentle waddle into some wild pheasants on my patch with some primitive hardware and no tech was in order!

It's been so long since I've been out with this flintlock I felt naked! No thermal, no optics, no binos, just a knife, flint and black powder!
At first I was rushing and not looking but I soon got back into the rhythm. Slowed down and started to watch more, move less. Then I started to enjoy myself with the simplicity.

Now this ain't no flying bird hunt like most of the UK conduct pheasant hunting, no, it's stalking them only these birds are not stupid, they are wild. All I do is keep the foxes down and they breed. I keep the hens but take the cock birds. I do wing shoot them but occasionally with the flintlock trade gun put the sneak on for a sustainance bird or two.
Well I got me my first two of the year. Considering the rain and damp I did suffer a couple of miss fires but after knapping the flint got fire.
Anyway the pictures oh and my favourite snitzl coming up 😋.View attachment 266051
View attachment 266052
View attachment 266053
Wonderful images!! Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Anyway the pictures oh and my favourite snitzl coming up 😋.View attachment 266051
View attachment 266052
View attachment 266053

View attachment 266052
View attachment 266053
Well done!

Back