• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No digging today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smiles did you know that you can harvest a rabbit without a gun at all.
you see the rabbit, chase the rabbit , it will run in a circle on the same circle every time.
locate a spot on that circle where the rabit while running will funnel itself to a chokepoint.
dig a hole 3 rft deep there moving the dirt to funnel the rabbit better, once hole is made place twigs and thin sticks across the hole(small enough that the rabbit will break the twigs and sticks)
place leaves over the twigs, sprinkle dirt over the leaves and find and toss light debris over the leaves and dirt.
look at your invention , it should not appear to be a hole at all.
now look at that rabbit, chase that rabbit, it will run... straight into the hole you just made and it wont be able to get out.
if you wanna be certain placepokey sharp sticks in the hole at the top facing downward at an angle so the rabbit goes in easy but cant come out easy.
now you got free rabbit without using your gun. you are welcome.
I'll just stick to using the gun. I need a nap now....

😂

you see the rabbit, chase the rabbit , it will run in a circle on the same circle every time.
locate a spot on that circle where the rabit while running will funnel itself to a chokepoint.
dig a hole 3 rft deep there moving the dirt to funnel the rabbit better, once hole is made place twigs and thin sticks across the hole(small enough that the rabbit will break the twigs and sticks)
place leaves over the twigs, sprinkle dirt over the leaves and find and toss light debris over the leaves and dirt.
now look at that rabbit, chase that rabbit, it will run... straight into the hole you just made and it wont be able to get out.
if you wanna be certain placepokey sharp sticks in the hole at the top facing downward at an angle so the rabbit goes in easy but cant come out easy.
Seems like a lot of work! 😀

I did similar as a kid with snowshoe rabbits. Just followed their tracks in the snow. Eventually they showed the perfect place for a snare and in the next circle they were mine. Also a lot of work.

smirks, not the deer and elk , was talking about bigger stuff predator, 400-1200lb tall , so fast you cant line up a shot, so scary you just drop that gun. but say maybe those things are not in your woods. you can find out by going out on your hunt with sausage jerky in your back pocket. smiles but absolutly dont go cooking sausage in the woods. but if you are brave, a handful of slim jims with the package cracked open just a bit in your back pocket. course if you had caught the rabbit , youd have it to give to that thing there with the teeth and claws. but its all good , that kind of thing is not real is it? hehehehehe

Not rabbit hunting story but a good one though...

Hunting Polar bear with my Pedersoli fowler with a .600 round ball and 150 grains of Swiss FFg. As we got 2 miles out on the ice we stopped so I could load up. Low and behold I had forgotten to bring any powder!! Not wanting to squander the day...while searching for my powder I remember seeing a can of peas. Perfect!! We proceeded to dig a large hole in the ice and then spread the can of peas around it. Getting back a ways we hid and waited. After about 45 minutes here came the large polar bear. Sure enough he approached the hole in the ice with the peas around it. When he came to take a pea,, we kicked him in the icehole....Ok I'm leaving!!

hmmm, have not smoked today yet.
but seriously, none of you has heard a howl or roar , way too loud for what its supposed to be. no lost game(meaning you shot it but there is nothing in the puddle of blood when you get to it). really, never. hmmm well here in texas we have both werewolves and sasquatch, and they are both real, been around for longer than us and oh well if ya dont believe and ya disrespect them , you are eaten so it dont matter, dare ya to cook sausage in the woods...

polar bear, are really good at hunting humans, better take a bigger gun. oh the things i am warning about , both of them can break a polar bears neck with little effort. and i know , that you know polar bears have no issue in or under freezing water. and unless its living or smelly it wont draw bear. but the slim jims will work dont think you brought enough of em though. they acctually ghave sasquatch listed on the super combo hunting /fishing license that was given me last week. so they recognize that one. but the werewolf , thing dont have a tag yet. hmmmm
suggest you dont shoot either of em. oh i could explain how to survive an encounter like that, but you laughing so you are on your own.

You have never actually even tried this, have you. :)

Not rabbit hunting story but a good one though...

Hunting Polar bear with my Pedersoli fowler with a .600 round ball and 150 grains of Swiss FFg. As we got 2 miles out on the ice we stopped so I could load up. Low and behold I had forgotten to bring any powder!! Not wanting to squander the day...while searching for my powder I remember seeing a can of peas. Perfect!! We proceeded to dig a large hole in the ice and then spread the can of peas around it. Getting back a ways we hid and waited. After about 45 minutes here came the large polar bear. Sure enough he approached the hole in the ice with the peas around it. When he came to take a pea,, we kicked him in the icehole....Ok I'm leaving!!
That one died before Brit was born. Even Mathusela..
We have box traps here .Have swivel lids. Dig 'em in on a fence line for Shushys and small vermin..

the first time i trapped a rabbit like that was when i was 10 years old so yup that one is old as methusela.

when you can trap a rabbit while a squatch is watching, and hold the rabbit up to the squatch like an offering and,it didnt even know you could see it. if you get a smile it may not be a good one, a show of teeth is a serious warning. but yeah ive nabbed rabbit its easy , easier than craw dads with bacon, yeah took bacon into the woods around 10 as well.

Used a lot of box traps when a kid, also waited on a night time dusting of snow and would walk the stone fences looking for there tracks where the rabbit crawled into the fence, check the opposite side to see if there were exit tracks, no tracks over the other side ,reach in the holes between the rocks and put the rabbit in a gunny sack. Caught a bunch like that.

Used a lot of box traps when a kid, also waited on a night time dusting of snow and would walk the stone fences looking for there tracks where the rabbit crawled into the fence, check the opposite side to see if there were exit tracks, no tracks over the other side ,reach in the holes between the rocks and put the rabbit in a gunny sack. Caught a bunch like that.
i bet, anytime i came across something unusual id have to figure it out, and rabbits are very unusual when it comes to how they keep from being caught. what size and brand fox traps do you use, ive got #4 victor muskrat traps atm and a couple live traps for raccoon. but the #9 and#14 victor traps have been removed by theives. what do you use.

Years ago done some fur trapping with my dad, it was all water based trapping for muskrats,raccons and a occasional mink, very seldom used any trap over a size #1 or 1-1/2 these were victors for the smaller animals, would go bigger for making a racoon set. As to the rabbit traps I made all of them just a wood box about 2-3 ft. long with a wire screen covering the one end and a trigger set door that would close when the rabbit entered the set, would use pieces of apple for bait.

cool, when i was buying the #4victors it noted them a s muskrat , they are like 4-5inch diameter and work great for all kinds of small critters. but yeah that wire snare works, i use it on squirrel, lean a thick stick against a tree and set crossed sticks and lay the wire so the head goes in but the butt end wont fit and you got squirrel, rabbit, all kinds of food.
so i do know exactly what you are talking about.these days i use spun 9strand spider wire for fishing, once spun it is impossible to break and very difficult to bite through. it melts easily though but i dont think a squirrel has a lighter or matches while its upside down hanging in the air. giggles
and acorns work for em. and yeah apples are good, thinking of just raising the rabbits, wouldnt that be easier? hmmm free range rabbit hmmm side of squirrel,

Back