• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock hunting?!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fellers been arguing at work for years about whether or not a matchlock is suitable for hunting critters that have noses, with the majority opinion being that burning match smells too strongly to allow deer to come close enough to shoot. I got one already this season, so with the pressure off, I decided “why not?”
I was up in the stand with my Dale Shinn 12 bore (90g FFg, denim patched .690) and a hank of match made by soaking hemp cord in hardwood ash lye. After a couple of hours, I noticed movement- eight does feeding their way through the trees right at me from dead upwind. As they approached the clearing, I made sure my match was hot, cocked, and tested- ready for action.

And then the damn dogs that the idiots at the hunt club behind me have left running for a month lit on their trail and started belling. They took off the wrong way and I never saw them again. 🤬

But now that I’ve seen that it *can* work, I’m planning to get back out there as soon as I can! We’ll see…

Jay

Attachments

• IMG_3083.jpeg
    IMG_3083.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
When I was younger, all the old farmers smoked a pipe or cigar waiting for a deer. They always seem to get one. Mostly with a single shot shotgun loaded with slugs, and in bib overalls.

Latest posts

Back