• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No capper works on 1858 Remmy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfrommd

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have researched this pretty thoroughly and found that no capper works on the 1858 Remington. The Ted Cash in line works fine on Colt 1860 etc.

Regards,

John

That's interesting, I'll have to tell that to my 1858,,
I'll never be able to shoot it again because the capper I've been using all these years won't work anymore :idunno: :surrender:

Come on now. Be nice to the newcomer.

Getting back on track, I haven't found a capper I actually like to use.

They often are more of a PITA than they are worth in my estimation.

That's why I just use my fingers to cap my percussion guns, including my C & B pistols.

I will admit, I have long skinny fingers so that gives me an edge when it comes to capping, over you folks with fat stubby fingers.

Come on now. Be nice to the newcomer.

New comer needs to be factual before he becomes full of false knowledge.

Count his posts and knowledge.

Back to Tedd Cash...

Post count has about as much to do with somebody's knowledge level as the hairs on a gnat's butt.

As for cappers, my fingers, though having sustained much damage, including breaks, cuts and white finger syndrome using chainsaws all day in the cold, and they still work fine for capping my guns.

Flint has none of these problems though. :grin:

Never ever cap a cylinder outside the gun. It's a short barreled pepperbox and guess what can happen if you drop it or hit a cap against the frame reinstalling it. Capping should be the last step and done with the cylinder in the gun pointed safely down range with no parts of the other hand in front of the cylinder.

I've got not only the Ted Cash, but some other straight-line cappers I've acquired over the decades. I Haven't found one yet that won't cap any of my Colts OR Remingtons.

Of course it pays to have all the cappers you can carry, since they truly are a PITA to load out in the field.

Maybe you've got a bad Remington :idunno:

Or maybe operator error :rotf:

hawkeye2 said:
Never ever cap a cylinder outside the gun. It's a short barreled pepperbox and guess what can happen if you drop it or hit a cap against the frame reinstalling it. Capping should be the last step and done with the cylinder in the gun pointed safely down range with no parts of the other hand in front of the cylinder.
Good safety reminder....Thank you. :thumbsup:

"Post count has about as much to do with somebody's knowledge level as the hairs on a gnat's butt"

We all get to have opinion, I would like to see his in depth research and documentation.

I use a Tedd Cash capper on 3 1858 Remington's in line matches with no problems.

Ya know, with all this,, there is a known problem with the capping of that revolver.
There are several videos and sources that explain the cylinder modification for easier capping of the Rem's.
It's basically opening the notch by the nipple with a small dremel sanding drum. :idunno:
It's not as easy as capping the Colts,,
Not impossible,, just not as easy.

Richard Eames said:
"Post count has about as much to do with somebody's knowledge level as the hairs on a gnat's butt"

We all get to have opinion, I would like to see his in depth research and documentation.

I use a Tedd Cash capper on 3 1858 Remington's in line matches with no problems.

Fair enough, it just seems worth noting that somebody isn't an expert just because they have a ton of posts.

Ya, but flip the coin.
When a persons only posts are all about divine un-solisitated wisdom it does make one wonder about source and motive. :idunno:

I always used my fingers on my Ruger Old Army and my Colt Navy. And my GPR. Just never liked the cappers.

Come to think of it, I still use my fingers ... installing my flints ... well fingers and turnscrew! Never cut a finger with a cap .....

it just seems worth noting that somebody isn't an expert just because they have a ton of posts.

What make an expert an expert is the fact that they never stop learning.........
The moment you stop learning you, you cease to be an expert....regardless of how long or how much you have done something.

Latest posts

Back