• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No capper works on 1858 Remmy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dewey3 said:
I always used my fingers on my Ruger Old Army and my Colt Navy. And my GPR. Just never liked the cappers.

Come to think of it, I still use my fingers ... installing my flints ... well fingers and turnscrew! Never cut a finger with a cap .....

I was installing caps on my ROA in Phoenix with my fingers and received a stern lecture from a Range Officer for doing so. First was the cylinder was out of the pistol, granted not safe while putting on caps.

Second, the Range Officer claimed she had seen a pistol fire when putting caps on by hand. I was not in the mood to argue, put the cylinder into the pistol and went back to my Tedd Cash capper. which was close by.

johnfrommd said:
I have researched this pretty thoroughly and found that no capper works on the 1858 Remington. The Ted Cash in line works fine on Colt 1860 etc.

Regards,

John

The purpose of the capper is to put the cap on the nipple, that is it's job, nothing more.

Okay, I have a straight line capper that would make a good fishing weight. I have a Tedd Cash straight line capper that works fine.

To start with, call TOW and get "proper nipples".

After getting proper nipples, get a wood dowel and push down on the cap to ensure that they are full seated after you put them on the nipple.

Your problem is not the capper, it is the nipple on the cylinder.

Richard Eames said:
Dewey3 said:
I always used my fingers on my Ruger Old Army and my Colt Navy. And my GPR. Just never liked the cappers.

Come to think of it, I still use my fingers ... installing my flints ... well fingers and turnscrew! Never cut a finger with a cap .....

I was installing caps on my ROA in Phoenix with my fingers and received a stern lecture from a Range Officer for doing so. First was the cylinder was out of the pistol, granted not safe while putting on caps.

Second, the Range Officer claimed she had seen a pistol fire when putting caps on by hand. I was not in the mood to argue, put the cylinder into the pistol and went back to my Tedd Cash capper. which was close by.

Dang, wish I could have been there to see that. :rotf:

Richard Eames said:
I learn the most from the folks here who are over 60.

Obviously...Most of us regulars appear to be over the age of 60
Muzzleloading had 3 decades of growth and 3 decades of decline.... = 60 years. :grin:

johnfrommd said:
I have researched this pretty thoroughly and found that no capper works on the 1858 Remington.

There's a lot of good info on this forum that everyone can learn from (before posting absolutes)

Mountain Dewd said:
Richard Eames said:
"Post count has about as much to do with somebody's knowledge level as the hairs on a gnat's butt"

We all get to have opinion, I would like to see his in depth research and documentation.

I use a Tedd Cash capper on 3 1858 Remington's in line matches with no problems.

Fair enough, it just seems worth noting that somebody isn't an expert just because they have a ton of posts.
An expert was just a drip under pressure. :hatsoff:

I too have found the inline capper to be the best overall tool for revolver capping. I cap the nipple, flip over the capper and use the back flat to seat the cap.
What folks forget or don't know is that cap fulmate requires impact not just pressure to detonate.
I have tested this in my bench vice. I squeezed a cap as hard as I could in a four inch Wilton bench vice until it was flat and got no detonation.
I removed the flatten out primer put it on the my anvil and tapped the deformed cap with a brass hammer and it immediately fire.
If your going to try this be sure and wear safety goggles and leather gloves.

I too have found the inline capper to be the best overall tool for revolver capping. I cap the nipple, flip over the capper and use the back flat to seat the cap.

Makes good sense, I was taught to use a wood dowel, but your method will work fine.

Thanks

r

I guess no one has informed the three no name in line capper's,

And who are they?????????????????

I think my in line capper that I bought from Dixie Gun Works a long time ago was a Nikky (?). Its sort of difficult to load caps into the brass channel and then to put the caps into the spring grips, but with some care it works with my colt copy, the Ruger Old Army and my 36 caliber Reminton.

Back