• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nitrating paper ..besides hurting stupid takes time!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the only problem with tree stump remover is that it's really not regulated, so the amount of KNO3 that you get, and it's purity, let alone other fillers, is completely up to the manufacturer, as is the veracity of the label on the container. 🤔

So what some of us in the reenactment community do is to buy small amounts of much higher quality KNO3 from eBay, the stuff that's meant for making your own biodiesel. We switched because of past problems with the results, so now we get a much better product when making slow match with the better KNO3, and making slow match for artillery, for example.
Just a suggestion...., ymmv

Artillery may be The King of Battle, but only when the match stays lit and HOT !
And his Royal Britannic Majesty does not care for his artillery not firing, especially when facing wascally webels!
GOD SAVE THE KING

LD
This I shall investigate further and thanks for the tip ...
Me thinks my first batch though burned well both free and in the chambers was weak.. I did find one "ring" of the paper bottom in one chambers
So next batch I will put in Potassium Nitrate until it won't absorb any more

Bear

I used to make my own paper cartridges for my .54 Sharps. I took ultra-high quality typewriter paper and soaked it in the nitrate solution it in a tray, then hung it to dry. I cut the sheets into appropriate lengths and wrapped them along with the projectile, gluing the edge with Duco cement. I filled the cartridges with powder and twisted the open end shut. When inserted into the breech, the breech "cleaver" lopped-off the twisted end quite nicely. When fired, the paper "disappeared" completely.

This I shall investigate further and thanks for the tip ...
Me thinks my first batch though burned well both free and in the chambers was weak.. I did find one "ring" of the paper bottom in one chambers
So next batch I will put in Potassium Nitrate until it won't absorb any more

Bear

IF you found a brand that works, then "it aint broke, don't fix it". Seems like yesterday, but it was at least a decade ago we had the problem with the adjuncts in the stump remover we were using. The product may be better made these days. We got the "tip" while we were having problems at an event, and it was from a guy who burned biodiesel in his truck..., I remember wondering where the french fries smell was coming from..., anyway we tried the stuff in our next batch of slow match and it worked fine. If your local stuff is working for you then no reason to fret.

LD

I think my worst stupid error I’ve made was wanting to see a firecracker explode up close, when I was a dumb kid. I lit it up and set a baby food jar over it to protect my face from the explosion. Luckily the shards of glass only stuck in about a dozen places of my face, but not my eyes.
Pond. I understand now. If it helps....

I stopped trying to nitrate my paper cartridges(percussion revolvers) as it didn't seem to make any difference, especially for the work/mess involved. I went to either curling paper or cigarette paper which work fine as is. There is always going to be a little burnt paper residue no matter what you use.

I sometimes make black powder so I’ve bought kno3 from fireworks chemical supply companies. They usually have good prices. I use the curling papers for nitrating. On their own they burn well, but definitely not like flash powder! To nitrate I take one at a time and dip in a tray of water/kno3 mix and remove immediately and hang them on a rack or stretched out string or wire to dry. I’ve made them with coffee filters also, but they are thicker and gave me issues when loading into the cylinder. You can nitrate cigarette papers also, but you will lose the gummed edge once it’s wet, so use the glue stick when you twist them up!

My question is why go thru all that hassle.
I use Raw ciggy papers, the are thinner than coffee filters and Ive not had one go off, with no residue that cant be blown out in an instant..
I've tried rolling papers, and they're just not sturdy enough to suit me, and especially not when you try to glue a ball onto the tube and/or use filler. I agree with @1stnamebassist that curling papers work the best. I nitrate them and then dry them out flat on a stretched-out window screen:
IMG_4145.JPG

Didn't start college until I was 30, and General Chemistry was the subject. Our professor encouraged us to "experiment at will", but take proper notes and safety precautions.
So, I made up a small batch of gun cotton, or nitrocellulose.
You could take a small pinch, place it on the sidewalk, whop it with a hammer - and WOWSER! Got an "A" for the course. Organic Chemistry, thought about nitroglycerine, but quickly dropped that idea!

I've tried rolling papers, and they're just not sturdy enough to suit me
Gun of the Wests paper cartridge kit makes the papers tight and perfectly round.
Using a drop tube to compact the powder and the cartridge is packed hard and the ball just seats on top.
Have not had one tear yet.

Using a drop tube to compact the powder and the cartridge is packed hard and the ball just seats on top.
Have not had one tear yet.

I agree about compacting the powder makes the paper cartridge sturdy and easy to handle. I construct my cartridges on pin gauges which makes a straight paper tube. The powder can then be evenly compressed and even the thinnest cigarette paper holds up well to handling.

Latest posts

Back