• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nitrate paper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just ordered some potassium nitrate in order to make some Nitrate paper. Is there any formula, percentage, to make up the mixture i.e. how much potassium vs. how much water?

:ghostly:
Look for Eras Gone videos on the subject at YouTube - he shows you how to do it. I've done it his way and it works but I find using hair curling paper works without nitrating just as well. The picture of the three paper cartridges has .44 cal balls in them with powder charges of 45gr, 35gr, & 25gr of 3F GOEX. They were made with hair curling paper using the Cap & Ball paper cartridge former but I extended the male former to get a longer tapered paper tube so I can add more powder. The next two pictures are coffee filter paper that has been nitrated. The ash left over from the hair curling paper
fro P1030552.JPG
P1030556.JPG
P1030557.JPG

Last edited:
I used the natural or brown coffee filters and they work pretty good so does the hair curling papers as for a mix ratio just keep slowly adding your kno3 to hot water till it stops dissolving.in the past i was told to let the paper soak for 30 or 45 minutes but that just made the papers to soft and difficult to handle so i pretty much dip mine in for a minute or 2 and hang them to dry best of luck

I soaked some coffee filters and True Wave papers in PN for about 30 mins, hung on my make shift clothes line in my bedroom with a fan on and let dry for about 1-2 hours. Once I get a .44 Walker formers I'm going to make up some cartridges with 30grs Triple7 FFF, a .454 round ball and top off round ball and small portion of paper with melted lube. Once I have some partridges loaded up I'll post pictures.

Attachments

• 20210803_194935.jpg
    20210803_194935.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210803_194953.jpg
    20210803_194953.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210803_195011.jpg
    20210803_195011.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 38
the cartridges I make for my Sharps uses plain copy paper nitrated with nitrated hair curler paper for the flat base cap. There is a free graph making program the lays out forms for the skins about 15 to a page.
Cut them out and roll using common glue stick.
I am not trying to make reproductions of the original cartridges but something practical to shoot.
My lube is 50:50 by weight lard and either beeswax or paraffin wax.
The completed cartridge is dipped in melted lube to the edge of the paper.
Simple quick .and a fairly durable cartridge.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

I just ordered some potassium nitrate in order to make some Nitrate paper. Is there any formula, percentage, to make up the mixture i.e. how much potassium vs. how much water?
Just a note, Spectracide Stump Remover is pure potassium nitrate. Ive used it for making slow match and something else we're not allowed to talk about here and it worked quite well. It might be easier and cheaper than ordering it on line depending if your local hardware store carries it.

Just a thought but when I use potassium nitrate to make slow match for my matchlock I first heat up the water and use it to make tea first. Then I put in the nitrate powder and mix it up, followed by the cotton cord. The tea darkens the paper and allows me to tell at a glance that the cord in question has been nitrated. You might consider this to avoid mixing up nitrated and non nitrated papers.

the cartridges I make for my Sharps uses plain copy paper nitrated with nitrated hair curler paper for the flat base cap. There is a free graph making program the lays out forms for the skins about 15 to a page.
Cut them out and roll using common glue stick.
I am not trying to make reproductions of the original cartridges but something practical to shoot.
My lube is 50:50 by weight lard and either beeswax or paraffin wax.
The completed cartridge is dipped in melted lube to the edge of the paper.
Simple quick .and a fairly durable cartridge.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk
[I would add the using American Pioneer Powder (ONLY) removes the necessity for lube, as the fouling acts as a bullet lube.
Using Pyrodex or 777 "son you are on your own" to quote a great line from Blazing Saddles.

Also APP fouling is concurrent not consecutive meaning you barrel is supposed to be only one shot dirty improving accuracy and cleaning.
More on this there are a dozen rounds APP loaded for in the morning so we shall see.
Hold center
Bunk

Back