• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nitrate Escapes Custody

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup,,, been used for food preservation,,,, but that doesn't mean it is good for humans. We have centuries of history of consuming things that are bad for us, but, if we don't die or become horrifically ill right away, we call it safe.

We are dumb.

Darwin was wrong.
While I agree with your first two statements, to the third I would say that perhaps it hasn't played out fully yet.

At some point in time, it is very likely that the highest forms of intelligence left on this little 3rd rock from the sun will be cockroaches, and Darwin will have been proved right after all.

Well it’s been shown saliva causes cancer. 100% of cancer victims are known to have swallowed small amounts of saliva over long periods of time
I use saliva for patch lube to reduced my risk of cancer but moreover hypertension. Shooting muzzleloaders relaxes me reducing my blood pressure. 👍

But what about breathing burnt potassium nitrate and sulfur.
They should make a cologne that smells like that. My wife likes it when I come home from the range smelling of blackpowder smoke.

🤔 I wonder if it masks my scent which is why she likes it?

Last edited:
Hey

if it taste good eat it,
By the by have you tried that new Soylent Green yet? A little dab on a cracker, goood eat’n
Potted Meat:
Screenshot.png

contains sodium nitrite but no potassium nitrate, and it's plenty red in color.

Pretty yummy, too, if you're partial to your meat having the consistency of cat food.

I'm not

This is kind of funny. But could have been bad. I set out a dish of potassium nitrate solution so the water could evaporate and the unused nitrate recrystallize. Little did I know that the nitrate could escape and crystallize instead on surrounding surfaces:

View attachment 283204

So, it's a good thing I didn't set it out anywhere near food storage or preparation. :oops:
Good to know.

Back